Re: Braking in New Handbrake shoes and Disks

wrote:

The only rule we have is that the vehicle can't roll backwards. I can start on a hill without rolling backwards and without using the parking brake as a hill holder.

Did I say one word about heel & toe driving? No.

I am admitting nothing of the sort. Indeed, I have repeatedly said that the parking brake is well suited to keep a stationary car stationary. That is all it is good for. If yo have to use to as a hill holder, it should work well. I don't need that kind of crutch.

I'm not quite sure how you can start a manual on a steep hill - without rolling back - and without either the handbrake or heel and toeing?
--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

If conditions are right, it's quite possible. If some thing is not (e.g. slightly slippery pedal) then it's a crapshot.
--
Ignasi.
'90 325is

I suppose with many modern cars that control the idle via a stepping motor etc it won't stall if you let up the clutch while holding it on the footbrake, but it still goes against best driving practice to me.
Of course, I learned to drive in a 28 bhp sidevalve Morris Minor, and such tricks were not an option. ;-) Indeed, my hill start during my driving test was on a 1 in 3 hill, where the car wouldn't pull anything above 1st gear.
--
*I want it all and I want it delivered