Re: Braking in New Handbrake shoes and Disks

> I am not a good source of discussion on using the parking brake as a

>> hill holder because I can safely say that I never do that. I am sure I >> have done it a time or two while playing in my car, but I do not make it >> a practice. > > It's the recognised way of doing a hill start - as taught in the UK. Do it > any other way and you'd fail your driving test. >

The only rule we have is that the vehicle can't roll backwards. I can start on a hill without rolling backwards and without using the parking brake as a hill holder.

> > Its use as an emergency brake became redundant after dual circuit >> > brakes came in. >> > >> > With an auto, the problem is not great. But with a manual, doing hill >> > starts on a steep hill would be a real pain. > >> Only for people that don't know how to drive. > > I'd dispute that. 'Heel and toeing' isn't for everyone, and isn't > practical on some vehicles. Or for some with small feet, etc. >

Did I say one word about heel & toe driving? No.

> As I said, I never use the parking brake as a hill holder. > > Fine. You'll not find any authority on save driving who agrees with you. > And you're tacitly admitting the BMW handbrake isn't up to it. >

I am admitting nothing of the sort. Indeed, I have repeatedly said that the parking brake is well suited to keep a stationary car stationary. That is all it is good for. If yo have to use to as a hill holder, it should work well. I don't need that kind of crutch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm not quite sure how you can start a manual on a steep hill - without rolling back - and without either the handbrake or heel and toeing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If conditions are right, it's quite possible. If some thing is not (e.g. slightly slippery pedal) then it's a crapshot.

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

I suppose with many modern cars that control the idle via a stepping motor etc it won't stall if you let up the clutch while holding it on the footbrake, but it still goes against best driving practice to me.

Of course, I learned to drive in a 28 bhp sidevalve Morris Minor, and such tricks were not an option. ;-) Indeed, my hill start during my driving test was on a 1 in 3 hill, where the car wouldn't pull anything above 1st gear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)