Re: buffered coolant temp guage

Seeking the group's wisdom on this.

> Car is 2005 330Ci, my first bimmer and one I'm enjoying greatly. > > However, I find that the water temp guage is "buffered". That is when, > say, climbing up a mountain road to a pass, many of which Washington State > here in the USA is blessed with, the temp guage never climbs. When > descending long stretches in cool weather the temp guage never makes any > movement to a cooler reading. > > I've heard the more than likely apocryphal story that for the USA market > the average bimmer owner was concerned that such a fine car had such > fluctuations in its coolant temp, hence the rock sold reading regardless > of actual engine temp. I pray this story is urban myth. > > Anyway, I'm convinced that the guage won't to a damn thing until someday > when something untoward happens and then it will jump into the red. I want > a real guage not an idiot light costumed as a guage. >

This is exactly how the "idiot light" gauge is apparently designed to behave. I think the oil temp bar gauge on my BMW air/oil cooled motorcycle actually moves up about 1/64" when the ambient air temp rises from 75o to

100o, but it's a bit hard to judge such miniscule fluctuations. Be happy - at least your car still has a dipstick and spare tire.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Hold the ALT + 0176 (numeric keypad) to create the Degree Symbol ( ° ).

Reply to
Jeff Strickland