Re: Castrol Syntec Update?



FWIW, I just stopped by my dealers parts department and they told me that the BMW full synthetic oil ($4.98 per quart) is *NOT* the same as anything currently sold under the Castrol name. According to the them, it contains extra "additives" specifically designed for BMW engines.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hands up, everybody that believes that.
Just checking.
-Russ.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Somebody wrote:

Actually - I do. I've seen oil analysis that were done on other BMW oils, and on oils from the same company that produces the oil for BMW. The additive packages were quite a bit different.
I see no reason why BMW wouldn't and couldn't and didn't specify a different additive package. If you have some reason to think this - quit with the smart-ass and let us all know. Otherwise.. it's just your opinion.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

same
that
anything
contains
opinion.
Just my opinion, smart-ass remark retracted. I'm rather surprised, actually, given all the hundreds of types of oil that already exist, that they felt the need to blend something themselves -- and given that, shouldn't we all be worried that we aren't using BMW oil in our cars? The last being the real reason for my skepticism.
-Russ.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You may very well be right about the additives, but I think the focus here is on why the price is so high. Unless they can justify this, people will just assume that it's the old "pay through the nose at the dealer" thing.
I would gladly pay the price if it could be explained to me and justified.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What high price are you talking about? The other poster said it's $4.98 at his dealer. The BMW synthetic oil has an MSRP of $4.80, according to my last receipt, but my BMW dealer charged me $3.60/qt with my BMWCCA discount last September. I went to Pep Boys and Mobil 1 synthetic costs $5.29/qt. At AutoZone, Castrol Syntec used to cost $4.99/qt. In fact, I've never seen a brand name full synthetic oil for less than about $4/quart which is at Costco for a 6qt Mobil-1 container at just under $24.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Sorry, I didn't check prices. I just assumed the OP was complaining about the cost.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Which part, that BMW synthetic oil is not the same as anything sold under the Castrol name or that the BMW synthetic oil contains extra additives specifically designed for BMW engines?! The former is a fact, at least for Castrol products sold in the USA, so yes, I believe that. The latter, I don't know.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sorry Russ, you're wrong. BMW lubricants sold at dealerships all contain an extra additive (referred to as IVA-Invisible Value Added), to ensure it meets the "IMLS" (Insane Markup Lubricants Standard) specifications.
Now-hands up again?
Okay, you can all lower your hands. (Both of them Russ).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
tech27 wrote:

contain an

it
Good one!
For the M3 the only oil specified is the BMW one which in the UK is ~US$20 a quart. This makes for US$250 oil changes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

My dealer charges 12 gbp a litre for BMW fully synth as used on most of their non M series cars.
--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob wrote:

I was told the same thing by the BMW dealer I buy my oil from. Their parts dept charges only $3.80 per qt. This is less expensive than any other synthetic oil that I see at the auto parts stores. I buy the oil filter at the same time and they are only $8.50. That's even cheaper than most auto parts stores. Who would have thunk you can get such a deal at the dealer?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Joel Novak wrote:

Exactly. And lots of US dealers offer 10-20% discounts off THESE prices if you are a member of the BMW Car Club of America. Combine that with the $500-1000 kickbacks BMW-NA sends you for being a member and buying a new BMW ($$$ depends on the model, but also includes $500 for CPO cars, have to be a CCA member for 1 year or more..) and you gotta be a fool NOT to be a CCA member.
For those interested: <http://www.bmwcca.org - and no, I'm only a member (of quite a few years) who finds value in the club.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.