Re: Do I need the expensive gas???

will
and
thought
I'm not a big fan of magic in a can either, but I think octane boost is pretty straightforward chemistry -- if the problem is indeed low octane. If not, perhaps the octane boost will mask/overcome it regardless.
I also use Gas Line AntiFreeze on a semi-regular basis without fear.
I once "fixed" a Chrysler transmission with leaking seals by using an ATF seal conditioner... not sure how that one worked out long term though. :-)
-Russ.