Re: E28 87 535i is this an interference type motor?

Only the most agricultural of engines aren't.
--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

It's kinda hard to tell from the posts, but the answer is that all BMW inline engines are interference engines. That's why they have (mostly) chains rather than belts.
FloydR

Generally true, but I believe it is less true in the case of petrol turbo engines. My Celica GT4 turbo was non interference. 220 bhp from 2l litres. Hardly agricultural. :-) Mike.

Turbos may be the exception due to the lower compression ratio. But then the OPs isn't a turbo engine. Dunno about the new generation of BMW turbo petrols either.
--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?