Re: E36 1992 320i - intermittent failure to start, any ideas?

My '88 325 did this. Intermittent, then increasingly more unreliable and finally died. Tested, found the bad one (fuel pump), sawed the package open with a pocket knife, sandpapered the contacts, squeezed
them together a bit and drove home. Then I replaced all three relays for about $30. (www.BavAuto.com Bentley's tells you how to test the relay; apply 12v to the "primary" side and check for continuity on the "secondary" side. Haven't had a moment of trouble since replacement. Good luck.