Re: E36 323i timing chain rattle

That's basically why I have always avoided the stuff. It might be perfectly good oil, but I find the huge amount of hype and high-pressure sales that accompanies it to be kind of offensive.
That said, there are plenty of high grade oils out there that _do_ meet the SAE guidelines.
There is some argument being made that older engines with roller cams want oils with higher ZDDP content than the current SAE guidelines recommend, and this may or may not be a good argument but I don't think it applies to any BMW products you're apt to see. --scott