Re: E36 Rear Fog Light or Lights ?

Page 1 of 2
waffled on about something:

You've got one side not working. The E36 was wired both sides (proper car!).
The bulbs aren't special to BMW, there are several variations on the pin locations, just take the old bulb into the local motor parts shop and they'll pull another one off the shelf for you. IIRC ford sometimes had one where the pins were 12/6 o'clock, but one was further up the base than the other.
As for the headlamp bulbs, too dark to pop out and look... But again the local motor accessory shop should be able to sort you out. The type is stamped onto the base, pup the plastic cover off and get the torch out. :-)
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Thanks for that. My mate has the same car with the same problem then as his doesn't work on the left side either. Time to get into the boot and investigate I think.......

It appears that they are not. Like other krauts the UK spec E36 has only the right hand unit wired up. The plug and socket have the wire / pin missing on the left. Tight Germans !

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Pardon my ignorance, over here in the Colonies we don't have rear fog lights. Isn't there a scheme to fog lights that tells other drivers that if there is one light, then they should steer clear, and if two lights, then the vehicle ahead is stopping -- or driving with a foot on the brake pedal. In any case, isn't a violation to have to rear facing fog lights? If not, then why wouldn't the car makers wire two of them in the car instead of only one? They apparently install the bulb on the dead side, a wire over there to make it live would not cost anything.

It's not ignorance on your part. Rear fog lamp is a singular entity. Wiring two rear lamps to the fog circuit may or may not be legal, but for sure it will only serve to confuse followers, and may inspire them to hammer on their high-beams to get the fuckwit in front of them to get off the brake pedal ;-)
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - NA model with a proper, single rear fog lamp...

That's what I was thinking ...

"Same as brake lamps," is my point. If one has TWO rear facing fog lamps, then wouldn't that, by definition, look just like a driver that has his foot on the brake pedal?
Can only be used in

We get plenty of fog, we just don't have visionaries that think we need rear facing fog lamps.
Having said that, I saw (about 1.5 years ago) an brand new Audi on a Southern California freeway that had the rear facing fog light(s) illuminated -- my guess is that he had it(them) on in error since it was bright and sunny out. But, other than that single instance, I can't think of ever observing rear facing fog lamps. I understand the benefits, but we don't use them for whatever reason.

OR, people don't screw around adding a light that isn't supposed to be there. Then you can tell when you come up behind a car with a rear facing fog lamp, not some putz that drives around with his foot on the brake and the lights on.
If two rear facing fog lamps was legal, I'm pretty sure the auto makers would wire them. Since they only wire one, my guess is that only one is legal.

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:05:55 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk waffled on about something:

Having seen the driving in Spain, I wouldn't work by the side of the road without putting up a concrete barrier, let alone a dayglo jacket!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Jeff Strickland wrote:

I see them all the time here in the Northeast, mostly on european models, almost always seem to be on without the driver being aware of it.
"Gee, whiz. What does that button do?"
--
-Fred W

If anything other than a BMW ---------- Self Destruct!
Sir Hugh of Bognor

My E36 had two, as does my E46 and E38. Maybe you've got the special economy model.
adder1969 wrote:

The reason for being just one rear fog lamp - on the left side - as far as I know is so it would not be mistaken for braking lights.
--
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches. -- Benjamin Franklin

I think you may find that all / most cars in Germany only have one. Some VW models have a single reversing light in the same place on the other side. Fog is on the drivers side.
wrote:> "In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road

But a chap called Napoleon had a good idea to tell his troops from the Brits and made the French 'change sides' and march down the right hand side of the road. Other countries such as the yanks who were close allies of the French at the time soon changed too. As well as the UK others who remain on the 'correct side' include Australia, India, etc.
Here is a better site
http://www.brianlucas.ca/roadside /
RustY wrote:

Thanks - fascinating read. It's quite fun to read about the origins of certain practices that we now take for granted. Another trivia that I found not so long ago is that the size of the solid booster rockets of the space shuttle is determined by the size the wheelbase of a roman chariot...
--
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches. -- Benjamin Franklin

BBO wrote:

and here it is:
http://www.astrodigital.org/space/stshorse.html