Re: How do I detect Nikasil problem?

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 09:10:16 GMT, "tidyboyo"

This page is now at its correct permanent home of:
http://www.e34v8.co.uk/nikasil.htm
It's even been recently updated to take new information into consideration.
--
Simon Worby

I've just contacted BMW owner's circle in South Africa re my 1995 328i. According to them it has the motor with Nikasil coating in the cylinders. It has done almost 90,000 miles, yet no problems. From what I've heard, South African fuel contains a lot of sulphur. Can anyone explain why my car has never had any of the symptoms?
Regards MW

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:14:46 +0200, "MW de Jager"

Some vehicles do appear to have been unaffected, even in high sulphur petrol regions, though it seems to be rare.
How long have you had the car? Could it be the engine had been previously replaced? (Many owners simply don't know; the engines were replaced as low as 20,000 miles -- our 328iAT had a new engine at 19.700 miles. There's no easy way of telling with the 6-cylinder engines.) How do you know it's not affected -- have you had the leakdown tests?
--
Simon Worby

Simon Worby wrote:

The only way to know for 100% certain if you have a nikasil block is to check the numbers in the castings. I know where they are on the 8 cylinder blocks but not the sixes.
-Fred W
I've got the engine number, so what do I do now? Who will be able to tell me what kind of block it is?
Regards MW

If all else fails reread the original post and linked web page!

To answer the question re how long I've had the car - 3 months. Full service record BMW only, so BMW South Africa should know if the car has a Nikasil coated block. If it suffers from leakdown, then it is good for my fuel consumption. A friend of mine has a 1998 model which is much (25 - 50%) heavier on fuel than mine, and his car does not have the Nikasil block.
Maybe BMW replaced the sleeves with steel many years ago and forgot about it. Let's hope for my sake!
Oh, something else I noticed when I had the car through road worthy. There was a small difference between the engine number on the block and the engine number on my registration papers. I think I should investigate this further...
Regards MW

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:16:09 +0200, "MW de Jager"

I agree. If the rest of the car is Kosher, to me that suggests a block change. Bock changes do not figure in the normal service history/booklet.
--
Simon Worby