Re: lets start the debate 2006 IS 350 vs. 330i

My Car and Driver and Road & Track both came today. Both had tests of the IS350, the CD one being a comparison with the usual suspects.

Naturally, the 330i won the CD comparison with the IS coming in second followed by G35. IS problem was too much luxo and not enough sport. Basically the conclusion in the RT review was the same, with the new car seen as moving more toward the GS and away from the 330i.

CD had their IS350 doing 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.7 at

104 mph leaving all competitors for dead. That is getting into M3 territory and SERIOUSLY quick. (The mind boggles at what it would do with a good manual box and a skilled driver.) The 330i (manual six-speed) took a disappointing 6.0 seconds to 60. Interestingly, if not surprisingly, the 330i had numerous electrical problems during the test. Evidence that you do NOT want a first year Bimmer under any circumstances.

So, once again Lexus has no serious 3-series competitor. A pity, as I was hoping there would be that option if my E46 starts to cause trouble.

Sigh.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

What planet are you/they on? The vast majority of drivers would be delighted even with 7 seconds...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I took an E90 330i for a test drive today! The power was pretty disappointing - it didn't FEEL much faster than my 323i. And talk about "too much luxo" - WAY too quiet an exhaust note. It's takes a lot of fun out of having a manual, when you can't hardly hear the dang engine. The clutch take-up and brakes were both quite touchy. It had that great ride and handling that you'd expect, but other than that, I thought it lacked in the "sport" department.

Reply to
dizzy

Earth. How about you?

What are you talking about, anyway? Lexus builds a 5 second 0-60 car, CD tests it and gets that result. I write what they got.

So what bothers you about that?

Believe it or not there are people who like really quick cars. You number yourself among those that don't? That's your business. Those cars are not meant for you anyway.

Sheesh!

- nopcbs

Reply to
GRL

And there are cars that get there even quicker. So? I am querying the word "disappointing" which the reviewer used.

In the real world 6 s is far quicker than the VAST majority of cars in use.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

...but way slower than the 5.1 the IS350 got and in the expensive sport sedan market both cars compete in that is a huge difference. And as I said, that puts the $40,000 (well equipped) IS350 very close to the $50,000+ M3 in acceleration. And yeah, that's big, too.

Now, you are quite right that either car is much quicker than the average car, but so what? These car makers are not targeting the average car buyer who would never consider $40,000 for a 4-passenger sedan, they are targeting an audience for which quickness like that is important. And the Lexus is better at it.

End of discussion.

Sheesh.

Reply to
GRL

Put that way I suppose you have a point and I give in :-)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling