Re: lets start the debate 2006 IS 350 vs. 330i

Only in America would you even think of comparing an overpriced Toyota (Lexus) or Honda (Infinity) to a BMW! ;-)

Reply to
zerouali

Honda(Acura) or Nissan(Infinity)

Reply to
David

InfinitI.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Oops, I stand corrected! But my point still stands! ;-}

Reply to
zerouali

You're right. The Lexus and Infiniti are way quicker and more reliable than the more expensive Bimmer.

Silly comparison, as you say.

I'll bet Car and Driver will be embarrassed when they hear what you wrote.

Reply to
GRL

You sound mighty confused, you posted previously how Lexus has no 3 series competitor, yet here you are trying to say they are better?

As the engine in the Lexus is 500cc more, I hope they could get more power out of it than the 3 litre 330. Why not compare it to the 3.2 M3 too see what BMW can really do with an engine, after all, the IS 350 is the top of the range for Lexus, isn't it?

But as you said yourself ,"but the handling is just not there .....went ultra-bland, again. Not a car anyone will dream about owning.....Lexus needs to get some serious sporting DNA in their bloodline and the new IS does not look like it will do it"

So what is it to be? The Lexus is better, the BMW is better, or you just like arguing?

Reply to
zerouali

There is no such thing as a "better" car. A car can be better at... or better this or better that, The best car for you is the one that is better in your mind, which does whatever you want. Be it faster, better handling, more comfortable, more reliable, cheaper etc. If you like BMWs then that is your best car. If you like Lexus' then that is your best car, The whole question was really quite stupid in my opinion.

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

Now if the question was "which is the fastest car" then a test would answer the question. Depending on whether you compare them in a drag race or a race along a twisty mountain road.

Oldun

Reply to
Oldun

Nope, not confused just honest w.r.t. both brands. (I own an LS400 and an E46 zhp.) As a small luxury sedan with some sporting aspects, the IS350 beats the 330i severely about the head and shoulders. For balls-out acceleration the Lexus wins with no sweat. For reliability Lexus winds hands down. For looks I think it's a coin toss. Lexus is bland, BMW E90 is not bland, but not good, either. For ultimate handling and driver involvement (and manual gear box), the Bimmer wins big. And for a sports sedan with luxury attributes that last is probably the most important thing. But not every 3-series or IS buyer is really that interested in the best handling and most fun to drive. For many (I suspect most since even for BMW, few cars are sold in the U.S. with manuals compared with autos), the luxury and reliability aspect tilt the balance most.

As I recall, you said something to the effect that the Japanese brands cannot even be considered in comparison with the German brands. That's utter nonsense and that's what I object to in your post. Both IS350 and G35 are worthy competitors that are superior to the 330i in some ways and inferior in others and probably slightly inferior overall (until the Bimmer breaks).

Comparing an M3 with an IS350 would be a swell idea if BMW would lower prices by some ten to fifteen thousand dollars and I grant you, for those who will tolerate a teeth chattering ride the Bimmer would be the better car, but since BMW is reluctant to do that, we need to compare apples with apples or someone will accuse of silliness. We can wait for the new V8 M3 and the(rumored) V8 IS and see how they compare. (I'd guess the BMW will be better, but way more expensive.)

Reply to
GLitwinski

Never saw a car book test yet where acceleration was testing in any way other than a straight line. We should respect that tradition even if our ox is getting gored as a result.

Reply to
GLitwinski

Well, that's hardly fair, as the price of the M3 is so much higher. Obviously, more money can buy you more power, for any given displacement.

Reply to
dizzy

Well, we'll see. The ultimate proof there is the sales, and I'd bet the farm that the 3 will continue to out-sell the IS many times over. That said, I'm certainly considering the IS.

Reply to
dizzy

Since when did I say anything different eh! But if you are talking about the fastest car, do you mean the fastest accelerating or the fastest top speed? In the real world the fastest is the car which gets round the track the quickest.

Reply to
Oldun

We were talking about acceleration, remember. Acceleration is always tested in a straight line. Top speed is pretty much meaningless accept for bragging rights, if one cares about that sort of thing. Precious few cars are ever driven at their top speed...just no place to do it unless you have a very slow car. Acceleration can be used daily by anyone pretty much anywhere.

Thanks for the discussion, but I've had enough of the subject.

Good day to you.

Reply to
GLitwinski

Hence the phrase "You get what you pay for" ;-)

Reply to
zerouali