Re: Re: 1995 318ti wont_start,_is_this_

"malt_hound" wrote: > Summer wrote: > > Taken it to BMW dealer twice and of course it wont act up > for them. > > Doesnt start sometimes and have to wait 20 minutes or less
> before I > > can try it again. All the lights come on but the engine > wont turn > > over. > > Anybody ever heard of this or know what it could be? One > thing it is > > not is key chip-or so Im told. > > > Right. I believe that the symptom for the EWS (key chip) is > the engine > turns over but won't catch. Your problem sounds more like a > starter > solenoid of physical keyswitch problem. Does it make any > clicking noise > at all when you move the key from position 2 (run position) to > position > 3 (momentary start)? > > -Fred W
It makes no clicking noise but all the electrical stuff still works. I know this sounds crazy, however it happens most often when the weather is hot and muggy.
Summer wrote:

Well, I need to make a correction. I broke out the wiring diagrams and on the starting circuit page there it is, plain as day: The EWIS2 (Electronic Immobilizer Control) module works by interrupting the circuit from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. So, it would be the most likely reason you are getting the symptom that you are.
One input to the EWIS2 module is the automatic transmission range switch on cars fitted with an automatic. If yours is an auto I would try jumpering out that switch before I did anything else. If that does not resolve it, you could see what happens when you jumper from pion 1 to 3 on the EWIS2 module (bypassing it).
-Fred W