Re: rear wheel biased awd options for a family car, station wagon or a minivan

now my primary concern is the grip and, comes winter, I don't think

> most SUV tires have any > (once you leave unplowed section and are picking up speed on a plowed > avenue) > if there were a decent winter tire in that size, it would cost an arm > an leg > (did not check cayenne tire prices, but I suspect something north of > $300 a piece) > > > The price of a tire is not dictated by the car it is mounted on. There's > absolutely no reason to think that a tire in a Cayenne would cost $300 wh= ile > a tire for a Nissan minivan would cost $100, assuming the same size tire.

The car and truck tires are NEVER the same size, not to mention that the load capacities are different. Minivans take car tires and cayenne rides on truck tires: I wonder if anything else rides on tires in the size cayenne does and what use a truck that rides on car tires has. Maybe some trucks with aftermarket rims ride on cayenne sized tires but I would not hold my breath.

> The Ford Expedition SUV is the F150, and the Excursion is the F350 (I don= 't > think you need that big of an SUV, but it looks like you need the > point-of-reference). Chevy has the Tahoe and the Suburban, both based on = the > 1/2- or 3/4-ton Silverado trucks. These are fine vehicles. Dodge also has= a > nice assortment of full-size trucks that come in SUV configurations. Focu= s > on the half-ton models, and I think you'll end ou with something that wil= l > make you happy. Of course, Nissan and Toyota offer the Aramada and Land > Cruiser (or 4Runner) that are also very fine vehicles for the kind of thi= ng > you want your vehicle to do. > > You don't drive a truck the same way as you would drive a car -- you post= ed > in Mitsubishi, BMW, and Suburu groups, which are predominately cars -- so > tires are not as big of an issue as you seem to think. You can get a very > good winter tire for a truck on the factory whyeels,

Could you specify at least one make and tire model=A0or a winter truck tire?

Reply to
Squat n'Dive

The car and truck tires are NEVER the same size, not to mention that the load capacities are different. Minivans take car tires and cayenne rides on truck tires: I wonder if anything else rides on tires in the size cayenne does and what use a truck that rides on car tires has. Maybe some trucks with aftermarket rims ride on cayenne sized tires but I would not hold my breath.

Could you specify at least one make and tire model or a winter truck tire?

You asked about options that have RWD and can hold a carseat for a child. There are lots of options that are not on the list of those you said you are considering. The late model selections can give upwards of 20mpg, and some do better than that.

I think an SUV that's based on any brand of full-size truck, American or otherwise, is an option worth exploring. You also said that you are not made of money, which would tend to take the Porsche Cayenne off the table.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland