Re: Service interval.

> My 2000 540 has done 12K miles since it was last serviced. It has been

>> showing a single green indicator for a very long time now. Can the >> service indicator be wrong? >> pete > I've found that the last green indicator takes the longest to go out > before it turns to Yellow. Id say within the next 3,000 miles it will turn > Yellow, your indicator should be fine. > > -Branden

Correct - and the total interval should be between 13,000 and 18,000 miles, depending on fuel consumed, cold starts, etc.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

There's a guy selling an 840 on ebay(uk) who claims that he changes his oil every few weeks and plugs every couple of months. You might have thought that if he didn't do that he could afford to buy the exhaust boxes that it needs.

Reply to
adder1969

Of course, even with the use of synthetic oil, some of us prefer shorter change intervals and do an "interim" oil change at around 7,500 miles before the next scheduled service. If you decide to go this route, specify an interim "Oil Change" (about $75.00 US), not an "Oil Service" (ca.$220.00). Naturally, the indicators should not be reset after an interim change.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

My current BMWs indicate actual mileage to the next service, starting at

15,500 when first reset. IIRC, you should have 4 greens (countdown), one yellow (service due) and then one red (service overdue). I think the yellow will stay on for only a few hundred miles.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.