Re: Steam cloud.

>>If the rear window was covered with steam, my guess is your hot breath is >>the problem. You need to be using the defroster, specifically the rear >>Me thinks that when you open the bonnet, you will discover the motor. >>defroster. >> >> >>The air in the car gets very humid from the breath of the occupants. The >>AC >>System will dehimidify the air so the windows do not get steamed over. > > The steam was in my wake. Nothing inside the car. It looked quite > spectacular when it happened. Rather like a Formula 1 car blowing up. > I was going fast by don't ask me how fast:-)

Okay, now I get it. The steam was OUTSIDE the rear window, not inside. That's different.

If you blew enough steam to actually see it, you had a catastrophic failure. My guess is you blew a head gasket. If you are lucky, you blew a hose that blasted steam under the car and out the back. If the Temp Guage made it to the red mark, then you might have issues related to a cracked head.

A head gasket failure will blow coolant out the tail pipe in a large white cloud, a blown hose will make steam from water-based stuff splashing off of hot exhaust components. There is a difference in what you see in the rear mirror ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland