Re: Top ten all american sports cars

Was it as early as that?

As indicated EU manufacturers did produce a few dogs of their own, but Porsche also made the excellent 928.
In any event if you unstick, you may be able to get it back in a front engine / rear drive car (I have, but would recommend not having to do so), whereas if the car is going backwards your chances of recovery are negligible.

Not driven that many US cars, as they are rare over here and almost invariably LHD. Another factor is that expensive performance car owners are not always that keen to let you have a go...
Mostly I have owned and driven (and liked) BMW's. I am very tall and don't fit in a lot of sports cars.
Owned and liked
BMW 740i, 735i (4 off including two manuals) Rover 35000 SD1 (2 off 1981-85) Triumph 2.5TC (1979 - 81) now a classic
Driven and liked
Bently GT BMW 750i BMW 728i (bit slow) BMW M535i BMW 540i BMW 525e BMW 320i Mercedes S350 Mercedes 500SE Mercedes 320CE24V Porsche 928 (only practical for me without a sun roof) Daimler Sovereign V8 Vauxhall Lotus Carlton Vauxhall Senator 3.0i 24V (just makes it)
Driven indifferent
Bentley Azure Citroen XM BMW X5 BMW 316i (slow) Mercedes E Class (90's) Vauxhall Carlton, Cavalier, Astra (late), Corsa Audi A4 VW Golf GTi Minis Saab 9000
Driven disliked
Wolsey Six (owned 1978) Citroen CX, BX Jaguar XJ12 (too cramped) Jaguar XJR (too cramped) Merc A series (on test track) Rover 827 Ford Capri, Cortina, Sierra, Escort Renault 19, 30 Peugot 305, 205, 105 MGB Roadster VW Golf, Polo Various BL cars - worst was Marina Land Rover Freelander Lexus Vauxhall Astra (early), Nova Buick Park Avenue Pontiac Grand Am
Been in and suspect I would like
Aston Martin Lambourghini

GM introduced what they called "Knee Action" for IFS in the 30s. I believe that Chrysler moved to IFS in the 30s. Ford introduced IFS with the 1949 model year cars. Studebaker still had a car with the buggy spring design in the 50s. Jim

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 21:20:05 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

...which was even more of a whale than a Corvette. Definitely not a sports car, but a GT.
-- Larry

Try and catch one.
The subject had broadened slightly to all American cars.

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 09:13:33 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

Immaterial. Nothing says sports cars are faster in a straight line than GT cars -- in fact, it's likely to be the other way round.
In any event, my 1600 cc Ford will tear any 928 a new asshole on any autocross course, or any very tight race track.
Now a 914/6, *there's* a sports car.
-- Larry

An impressive list that doesn't contain one of the cars you disparage.
R / John

Apart from the Pontiac*.
I have driven [at least] one rear engined rear drive car - Hillman Imp - which I forgot to put in the dislike list (several others no doubt).
I haven't driven the current BMW 6 series, although I have been in one and read reviews enough to know that it is likely to be an excellent drive.
Conversely tales of wheel tuck under, steering column intrusion and carbon monoxide leaks into the cabin would be enough to put me totally off the Corvair, even if there were many survivors left to drive, especially in the UK.
Few US cars are sold in the UK. Recent examples include the Chrysler Neon (slated in the motoring press) and PT Cruiser, which when I rode in one was awful.

Now how about a list of the top ten American [sports] cars?
OTOH a list of the top ten [sports] cars in America, probably would not contain any home grown produce - now would it?
* despite a 3l injected engine the performance was anaemic, delivered through a dire three speed auto box. The handling was poor, but the feel was non existent so you had to open the windows and listen for tyre squeal to know what was happening. A [large] 2 door coupe, space was wasted and there was no room for rear seat passengers. Visibility was reduced by a large rear pillar. This was a rated US car, goodness only knows what the regular ones must be like! It certainly confirmed all the stereotypes about how bad American cars are and why. True I had just got my first 735i at the time, but really there was just no comparison, even contemporary Sierras and Cavaliers were far far better.

What!? You haven't driven a Chrysler Minivan? Surely they are the prime exemplar of fine American cars.
;-> FloydR

The Grand Am hardly qualifies as a sports car or even sports sedan. A sporting name (Pontiac was/is notorious for them) does not a sporting vehicle make. PT Cruiser. A joke on both sides of the pond.

Actually, the Corvette ranks pretty high in most anybody's list. I agree that my taste doesn't run much to the current trend in US vehicles. There are few cars ANYWHERE I'd trade for my E39.

Are you sure you're not confusing the Grand Am with the Trans Am? Quite a different beast, albeit still rather wasteful of space. Pretty decent performance with 350HP and approx 165MPH top end. Handling fair to middling.
On topic, British cars haven't fared all that well in recent years either. While Jaguar is resurgent with (finally) reliable machinery, it generally falls short in comparison to its immediate competition. Similarly the (drop dead gorgeous) Astons come in near last place in their exclusive range. Even the Roller is getting to be a characterture of itself vice a world class luxury hauler. Breath of fresh air goes to Bentley. They seem to have captured the essence of the original marque in 21st century form.
R / John
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:28:46 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
...in the US. 8;)
-- Larry

The Mini is made in the UK in Oxford; none are built in the US.
FloydR
wrote

If the criteria is US assembled (even if with a minority of US parts), then what about the Z4?
Tom K.
wrote

Cars with British design and heritage, German engineering and assembled by Mexicans from imported parts hardly qualify as US made, although they are partly American in a geographic sense ;-)
Take the Manhattan Project - apart from General Groves, how many of the top people on the project were US citizens ten years before it started?

Actually, the top guy - Oppenheimer - was. But you're right, most of the rest were ex-pat European scientists.
FloydR

Huh? Oppenheimer a US Citizen but NOT a US national. He developed the V1 rockets or something similar before changing sides - didn't he?

You can't take 30 seconds to look him up? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Oppenheimer
You're obviously (and wrongly) thinking of von Braun, who had nothing at all to do with a-bombs.
FloydR

Yep! Von Braun - but Oppenheimer was not a US national.
Didn't Von Braun do something for the US with rockets?
Memory only - can't be botherd looking up on Wikipedia

Oppy was born in the US in 1912, his parents moved to the US in 1888. That makes him a US National. You *really* need to read before writing.
FloydR

I know but can't be bothered just now. You know what its like - back off vacation and another 4 weeks of doing nothing - brain rot seep in and before you know it its Christmas again......................