Re: What is the root of this BMW design flaw in all 3,5,7 series BMW trunk wiring looms?

Page 3 of 4
On 03/20/2013 05:25 AM, Brian Downing wrote:

the e46 was released in 2000 wasn't it? the honda prelude SiR had 100hp/l in 1996 if i understand the dates correctly. the s2000 was released in 2000 [though its tokyo motor show debut was in 1995].
--
fact check required

On 03/16/2013 01:28 AM, Bimmer Owner wrote:

You're probably expecting me to argue with you, but I'm not going to. I admit to being one of those people to whom the three most important things about a car are power, handling, and braking - so I like BMWs. (although the stock brake pads suck unless you like refinishing your wheels every couple years.) Other people don't care quite so much and consider "adequate" handling to be acceptable; for them, a BMW is just too much of a PITA to run so they buy something else. (although current ride hasn't cost me anything but maintenance and an oil filter housing gasket - knock on wood.)
And if you want to talk about shite window regulators - I actually had an A4 chassis GTI for a while. Yes, the one with the plastic doodad that was guaranteed to break. I was understanding when I read that their supplier had deviated from the spec, but was angry when the dealership said that VWoA wouldn't let them fix both windows when I brought it in for the first one... bastards... but I digress...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Goes to show what you know. -----
- gpsman
On 03/17/2013 07:55 PM, gpsman wrote:

he's starry eyed because he's used to that p.o.s. jeep or his employer's g.m. carp. with that as a comparison basis, i'm sure the bmw is fantastic.
--
fact check required

tic.
I can't help think of nitwits who think buying an X make/model and/or adding "performance" components improves their driving skill.
I'm reminded of a mud run I attended many years ago. All the big dogs lost by a large margin to a HS girl driving a stock 2WD F-150.
My friends had to hustle/half carry me out of there because I was laughing so hard and loud an ass kicking seemed imminent. -----
- gpsman
On 03/18/2013 07:35 AM, gpsman wrote:

true dat! double true dat!
for the bmw humorists, i had a guy come up to me in a parking lot one time and start enthusing about my crx. "best car i ever owned - i really regret selling it" he said all misty eyed. we chatted some more, then he left. he drove away in a new m5. true story.
--
fact check required

On 03/18/2013 11:33 AM, jim beam wrote:

I could actually say the same about my '84 Scirocco.
But you'd hate it because it not only uses struts but a twist beam in the rear.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 03/19/2013 04:52 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

did they drive away in a buick??? [rhetorical]

you're right about that at least!
--
fact check required

On 03/18/2013 10:35 AM, gpsman wrote:

Wow, it's amazing the way you managed to leap to conclusions there.
There's driving skills, and then there's the capabilities of the vehicle being driven, and when and where did *anyone* ever say that the two were related in any way?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

.

's

tastic.

What's amazing is your imbecilic vagueness and inability to snip what is irrelevant to your response (and operate a kill file, again).

How could they be unrelated...?
You seem to imply that you believe you could perform just as well as a licensed NASCAR driver if you only had access to a vehicle with the same capabilities. -----
- gpsman

And you've always been wrong. All the typical driver needs for safety is the self-control to pay attention to his surroundings, not tailgate, not excessively speed, slow down when traction is at all questionable, and maintain his car. After that, it helps to know how to steer well enough so you don't knock a side-view mirror off getting in or out of the garage. But none of it - none of it - will help when some guy with "autocross training" slams into him. Here's the leading causes of accidents. You can dispute them, but it looks good to me. http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/07/20/the-6-most-common-causes-of-automobile-crashes.htm
On 03/19/2013 12:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/07/20/the-6-most-common-causes-of-automobile-crashes.htm

you're partly right, but that won't save you when the typical DC-area driver who doesn't do any of those things decides to move into the same space you're currently occupying. that's when those car control skills become important - and that makes the difference between an adequate driver and a good one.
I don't know where the assumption seems to come from that teaching people how to drive safely at high speeds and/or on unfavorable surfaces suddenly makes them less safe on a public highway, and/or impacts their mindset or attitude towards driving on public roads in a negative manner which is what you and gpsman seem to be implying. I would be interested to see any statistics that address this issue, but it seems that in our current political climate it is far more politically popular to fund studies that "show" that simply driving slower and using automated enforcement is the solution to making our roads safer.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

4 proves a problematic application to oblivious motorists, they choose incompetency after training.
In Nate's case he's managed to collect a fistful of tickets, still considers himself a good driver. Denys missing all the clues traffic provides that a cop is present represents any failure of his situational awareness, and of course the cop was always wrong.
The change from "I got my license!" to "All the rules are stacked against me!" can only be measured by factors of the speed of light. -----
- gpsman
On 03/20/2013 06:55 AM, gpsman wrote:

wow, that explains even more - not just lack of self-awareness but situational as well. totally consistent with his behavior here of course. i used to think he simply had asperger's, but that was much too simplistic. it definitely goes a long way to explaining why he keeps coming back and begging for more abuse.
talking of which, i guess i'm a sicko - i can't resist obliging him. especially when he has his little teddy-flinging tantrums and makes his childish threats.
--
fact check required

On 03/20/2013 11:12 AM, jim beam wrote:

Wow you guys are incredible... get a room with your IKYABWAI.
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 03/20/2013 11:13 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

i have a much better idea - why don't /you/ try to understand why we're able to have this conversation in the first place, and then try to do something about it? the ball is totally in your court.
--
fact check required

On 03/20/2013 10:31 PM, jim beam wrote:

Because you're transferring your own shortcomings onto others in an attempt to feel better about your own pathetic selves.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 03/21/2013 04:50 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

no nate, that would be you. seriously, you need help.
--
fact check required

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 07:49:51 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

This isn't an 'argument'; it's merely a discussion. Everything you said and everything I said was true.

The E39 that I own handles those three with aplomb!

The stock front pads are Jurid, with the rears being Textar, both with an FF friction & fade coefficient. They work well enough, although Akebono GG friction ratings are often used as replacement.
I use the Axxis/PBR FF pads, which dust the same color as the wheels, so you don't see the unsightly darker-colored dust of the stock Jurid pads.

The OFH often leaks on the BMW M54 engine; but luckily it's an inexpensive part, albeit a bit of a pain to DIY.
Overall, I think we're in agreement, so there's really no need for any argument. One thing about bimmer owners, they KNOW their cars!
On 03/17/2013 11:05 PM, Bimmer Owner wrote:

??? dude, brake dust is /two/ components:
1. pad. 2. disk.
if your wheels aren't being stained, it's because #2 is not present, or at least, not to the extent that "bmw spec" [high silica] pads have.

i don't understand this equation - y'all are starry eyed about something that is completely unreliable /and/ expensive to maintain. sure, it's better than a buick, but really?
if you like fixing stuff and are serious about rwd's with handling, race-prep a miata. if you want something that handles from new, buy an elise.
don't pay bmw's "advertising beats engineering" tax.
--
fact check required