rear drum brake shoes replaced- are they working???

Hi there
E28 520i 1985
I replaced my rear drum brake SHOES and all went well ... but when doing a hard braking test, only the front wheels lock up.
Is this normal? Of course I should have done a before and after test and now I can't remember, but they did seem to be better before (but squealy- have replaced front pads and discs too). I did bed them in for a few mins driving with brakes on down hill. I did test the brakes with each wheel jacked up, so I know they do work individually. My real question is about the "thermo adjuster" which (somehow) turns the adjuster nut and makes the shoes more in contact with the drums. My Hanes manual said to back these off to minimum before reassembling. Is this right? Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust them to "nearly touching" the drums- or does the "thermo adjuster" do that (by magic)
Jom Sydney Australia
jom wrote:

Well, test them to see if they've adjusted up. ...by jacking the car and lightly applying the brake. I guess they'll affect the handbrake travel too.
jom wrote:

Yes, it is normal. In fact it is *preferable*. If your front wheels lock, you can't steer, but you slide straight ahead. If your rear wheels lock up, you spin the car and slide rear end first. -- C.R. Krieger 1988 535is 'Da Red Dog'
on about something:

Speak for yourself! I'd rather go through the brick wall backwards than forwards any day of the week! Assuming of course you *had* to go through the wall in the first place!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

No airbags?
--
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

no, it's a 1985
anyway the rear shoes seem fine now- BUT the front discs are squealing. I recently replaced the pads, and the discs about 6 months ago cause they were vibrating through the pedal when braking from 60 mph.
That problem has developed again, luckily there are some excellent websites on the subject, such as...
http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/brakefaq.html#parts
ya gotta keep yer greasy fingers orf the brake bits
waffled

in the absence of ABS... Yes but if the front wheels lock and it slides, you can ease off and quickly regain control [and probably miss the wall]. OTOH if the back wheels lock and it spins, then you are almost certainly going to hit something.