Rear suspension problem

With reference to my other post about scrapping the car, here is the problem with my rear suspension:
When driving over any bumps, the car rattles. I can describe the noise
as follows (bear with me). My father used to have a Bedford Rascal van which he delivered wine in. To protect the floor, he put a loose sheet of plywood on the bottom, which would clatter when you went over bumps. My car sounds exactly the same, although I don't have a large sheet of plywood in the back.
I've also lost confidence in the car's handling.

Sounds very like subframe or trailing arm bushings.
My 6er does the same think, I have pointed out the sub frame bushings.
AlF
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Sure it's not a loose spare wheel? If it's a 5 series the dog-bone links to the rear axle are often over-looked.
Steve

I dont know what model yours is....but BMW's are famous for ripping the subframe mounts from the car. I have removed many a rear seat to reveal broken welds and bracing where the subframe pins seat.
Mine is a 1993 E34 520i. I don't think the spare tyre would cause the same handling problems. I'll have a look under the seat later today.
Robin wrote:

Ripped subframe mounts is a three series phenomenon. And it is *not* a common one on cars that do not have 1) stiffened suspension and b) been thrshed on the track / autocross circuits.
--
-Fred W