Rear view mirror - how can I break it ?

My E36 has an interior mirror that darkens itself at night supposedly as an anti dazzling feature. How can I disable this so that I get some rear vision back at night ? Has anyone done this mod ?

Reply to
RustY©

applied on light-sensitive E39 interior mirror : put a piece of adhesive ribbon (not transparent) on the little black circle on glass'mirror.

Reply to
Luc

Works very well too on mine. Wouldn't be without it.

Cover up the sensor with something that blocks the light - black tape should do it. You can see the sensor on the mirror.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Should be a knob to switch it off - check the manual.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Hey... I'll trade you if they interchange... I have a 98 740iL, e38, and the mirror doesn't dim. It is supposed to but doesn't. rick

Reply to
rick

Is the light sensor blocked?

Reply to
Carl Frisk

Thanks or the replies. I think Luc's idea sounds worth a try. Thinking about it, I assume the that it works ( darkens ) when the sensor on the mirror glass gets more light than the sensor on the windscreen side. Covering the sensor on the glass could very well work - I'll let you know.

Reply to
RustY©

The one on my M3 doesn't work. BMW simply say "computer says no". The one on my E38 does work but does it differently. If I have the lights on but it's not dark then I can't see much out of it, regardless of any sensors.

Reply to
adder1969

No it is not blocked. Is there a fuse or anything that would cause it not to work? thanks rick

Reply to
rick

I can not see any difference at any time. I raise the rear sunshade so that the lights are not as strong. rick

Reply to
rick