Rear view mirror - how can I break it ?

My E36 has an interior mirror that darkens itself at night supposedly as an anti dazzling feature. How can I disable this so that I get some rear vision back at night ? Has anyone done this mod ?

RustY wrote:

applied on light-sensitive E39 interior mirror : put a piece of adhesive ribbon (not transparent) on the little black circle on glass'mirror.
--
Luc

Works very well too on mine. Wouldn't be without it.

Cover up the sensor with something that blocks the light - black tape should do it. You can see the sensor on the mirror.
--
*Great groups from little icons grow *

Should be a knob to switch it off - check the manual.
Hey... I'll trade you if they interchange... I have a 98 740iL, e38, and the mirror doesn't dim. It is supposed to but doesn't. rick

Is the light sensor blocked?
--
...Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

The one on my M3 doesn't work. BMW simply say "computer says no". The one on my E38 does work but does it differently. If I have the lights on but it's not dark then I can't see much out of it, regardless of any sensors.
I can not see any difference at any time. I raise the rear sunshade so that the lights are not as strong. rick

Thanks or the replies. I think Luc's idea sounds worth a try. Thinking about it, I assume the that it works ( darkens ) when the sensor on the mirror glass gets more light than the sensor on the windscreen side. Covering the sensor on the glass could very well work - I'll let you know.