Recall Notice for 241,000 3-Series BMW Cars for faulty taillights

From BMW
Vehicle Make / Model:
Model Year(s): BMW / 325I
2002-2005 BMW / 325XI
2002-2005 BMW / 330I
2002-2005 BMW / 330XI
2002-2005
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC
Mfr's Report Date: AUG 25, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V438000 NHTSA Action Number: 2 Investigations found (View)
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TAIL LIGHTS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 241,000
Consequence: INTERMITTENT LIGHT OPERATION REDUCES THE ABILITY TO WARN OTHER MOTORISTS OF THE DRIVER'S INTENTIONS. THIS COULD CAUSE A VEHICLE CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
Remedy: BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICES AT 1-800-525-7417.
Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Wait a moment... what about every damn 1970s and 1980s BMW made, ALL of which have corrosion issues on the tail light assemblies? --scott

This is for the burned ground wire, not body corrosion.
The interesting thing is that it does not cover all E46 cars, and the earlier cars have this problem more than the later cars.

I'm talking about those stupid two-part tail-light assemblies, with the sockets that twist-out of the tail-light, with spring contacts on the sockets that make pressure contact to the metal rails behind the plastic tail-light assembly. The spring contacts deform and sag, the rails corrode, the Bosch receptacles soldered to the rails get cold solder joints on them and the pins deform.
The whole design is just plain miserable.

I'm curious why they selected just this group too. --scott