recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

Page 2 of 2
Indeed. Sign of complete combustion. Daft measure of pollution (and for car road taxation in UK) IMO.
DAS

"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...
bfd wrote:

ULSD day in the USA is October 1.
80% of the diesel available must be ULSD except in California where it is 100%.
Fireworks and excessive consiousness modification would be appropriate.
..
Especially in Haight-Ashbury.
DAS
<greek snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Not all modern high tech diesels will run on bio diesel without modification.
--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

developed as diesels become more readily available. I really like the thought of bio-diesel and wished BMW had more offerings in the US.

When the US government started tightening up the emission requirements for diesels the relatively small market for them in cars and light duty trucks (in the US) was not worth pursuing. Virtually all European manufacturers withdrew diesel exports to the US. A good example is the Sprinter (Mercedes). The little 2.7L, 5 cylinder diesel was used throughout Europe but did not meet US emission specs. It wasn't until DaimlerChrysler decided to replace the conventional Dodge van series with the Sprinter that the numbers made it worthwhile to clean up the emissions on the engine in order to sell in the US.
Eisboch
By our (European) standards it's not so little...
DAS
"Eisboch" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:3dqdndHHD-2lW2jZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Agree. My friend's brother, who lives in Germany, came over and had to drive my 1990 E34 535i, 5spd, 108K miles. He really enjoyed the torque and said because of the extreme price of gas in Germany, all of his cars were 2.0 liters or smaller.
Of course, we Americans believe there's No Replacement for Displacement, and the bigger the better!

We have a RV conversion that is built on the 158" wheelbase Sprinter chassis. I am simply amazed at how well the Mercedes 154 hp diesel performs. We recently took a 1400 mile trip towing a light cargo trailer with it. It had no problem maintaining 65-70 mph on the highway, up and down hills, and delivered 17 mpg, even pulling the trailer. Very impressive.
Eisboch
I'm not...:-)
Of course it 'ain't no 6-litre 600 hp engine' but it does the job.
I rent cars with turbo-diesel engines of around 2 l -- always impressive 'pull'.
DAS
"Eisboch" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:v6udnez3yZHkQGjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

It was one of those rare models which was right from the off, so no year to avoid.
As regards gadgets - same as any other car. But even the base model is well enough equipped.
--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.