recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

Ask the President....

Reply to
bfd

When the US government started tightening up the emission requirements for diesels the relatively small market for them in cars and light duty trucks (in the US) was not worth pursuing. Virtually all European manufacturers withdrew diesel exports to the US. A good example is the Sprinter (Mercedes). The little 2.7L, 5 cylinder diesel was used throughout Europe but did not meet US emission specs. It wasn't until DaimlerChrysler decided to replace the conventional Dodge van series with the Sprinter that the numbers made it worthwhile to clean up the emissions on the engine in order to sell in the US.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

By our (European) standards it's not so little...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Agree. My friend's brother, who lives in Germany, came over and had to drive my 1990 E34 535i, 5spd, 108K miles. He really enjoyed the torque and said because of the extreme price of gas in Germany, all of his cars were 2.0 liters or smaller.

Of course, we Americans believe there's No Replacement for Displacement, and the bigger the better!

Reply to
bfd

'Cause Kyoto is about CO2 emissions - and thirsty cars do nothing about this regardless of other emissions. Indeed, a 'cat' may actually increase CO2 emissions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We have a RV conversion that is built on the 158" wheelbase Sprinter chassis. I am simply amazed at how well the Mercedes 154 hp diesel performs. We recently took a 1400 mile trip towing a light cargo trailer with it. It had no problem maintaining 65-70 mph on the highway, up and down hills, and delivered 17 mpg, even pulling the trailer. Very impressive.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

...and you'll get a blank stare, at best.

The person to ask is the Vice President...and I think we know who's been buttering his bread all these years....

/daytripper (only two more years of those two nitwits. thank god herself!)

Reply to
daytripper

Indeed. Sign of complete combustion. Daft measure of pollution (and for car road taxation in UK) IMO.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I'm not...:-)

Of course it 'ain't no 6-litre 600 hp engine' but it does the job.

I rent cars with turbo-diesel engines of around 2 l -- always impressive 'pull'.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

ULSD day in the USA is October 1.

80% of the diesel available must be ULSD except in California where it is 100%.

Fireworks and excessive consiousness modification would be appropriate.

..

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Especially in Haight-Ashbury.