Remove-Replace starter on E21 82 320i

OK I need to replace the starter on my 82 BMW 320i. Looks to be buried, and I'm not sure what I need to remove first to get at the starter. Manual says to
remove the intake cowl? I take it that's the intake manifold. Any other tips. Looks like a pain-in-the-ass job.

It is. You may need to loosen the rear (transmission) engine mount and drop things a little to gain access to the bolts through the bell housing. A u-joint on a long ratchet extension is nice to reach them. It's easier for two people, since the nuts on the front are hard to reach from beneath.
I wonder if it's easier on a RHD, since the brake master cylinder and booster aren't in the way?
Floyd