Removing heavy tar spot / brake dirt from wheels?

I have a set of Alpina alloys which were looked after rather badly by my ex-girlfriend. They have quite a lot of tar spots and brake dust deposits that I'm struggling to remove. I normally use Wonder Wheels
(dulite acid) but it's not doing the job in this case.
Any ideas?

Don't know if you've got it over there, but TurtleWax bug & tar remover has worked good for me. It's got some sort of "petroleum distillates" in it: http://www.turtlewax.com/products/pages/t-520.htm Took the dust off pretty well, and removed tar and pitch ok. There are others, but probably not sold in the UK/Scotland.
FloydR
"Floyd Rogers" wrote

I second that recommendation. Just make sure to rewax the rims afterwards.
Cheers,
Pete
John Burns wrote:

T - Cut ?