Removing personalised plate when selling vehicle?

Hi,
I am about to advertise and sell my 2004 BMW M3 and this car currently has a personalised plate on it which I want to keep. I have looked on DVLA's site and found the "V317 Transferring a Vehicle Registration
Number" and also "V778/1 Retention of a Vehicle Registration Number", but I want to know the best way to do this at the time of selling the car?
I want the car to go to it's new owner and then the plate to be retained by me for transfer to another vehicle in the near future.
Thanks in advance
Daz
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

Put it on retention.
And get it changed before you try to sell - saves any arguments. If the car wasn't new when you put your plate on it, it will probably get its original back. So I hope you kept the plates. ;-)
--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So if I was to put the private plates on my car 'on retention' with the DVLA it would automatically be registered with a new number from the DVLA?
--
Sam

Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd guess so - I don't think they'd allow unregistered cars hanging around.
--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

βœ–

I wanted to know if I can do all the paperwork for this at the time of sale? I don't want to do it now, pay the £105 and then situation changes and I don't sell it or whatever. I only want to take the plate off when I know it's 100% sold.
Basically it looks like I send the V5 off with the retention document anyway, so could I put the new address and new keeper on the V5 but then retain the plate for myself?
Add pictures here
βœ–
If you don't put the numbe on retention and get the retention paperwork together with a new registrations doc with a replacement reg no.back from the DVLA before you sell, you could use the plate if the new owner was unscrupulous and applied for a new registration document
So to be 100% safe, I'd put it on retention and make sure I'd got all the paperwok back before selling.
Real pain if you want to sell privately
Steve
London SW

I wanted to know if I can do all the paperwork for this at the time of sale? I don't want to do it now, pay the £105 and then situation changes and I don't sell it or whatever. I only want to take the plate off when I know it's 100% sold.
Basically it looks like I send the V5 off with the retention document anyway, so could I put the new address and new keeper on the V5 but then retain the plate for myself?
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

Might be difficult proving ownership of the number *after* the car is '100% sold' with it still on it. And if I were buying a car I'd not expect to wait the time taken to get the number sorted out by post just for the convenience of the seller - it can take many days. You can, of course, go to a regional office of the DVLC and do it all there and then. If they still exist. I transferred my number that way a few years ago.

I don't think you can get a retention certificate without the car getting its new number and docs therefore this won't arise.
--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

βœ–

Well do that it only takes a week at most and you can probably do it in person at your local taxation office (not many about)
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

βœ–

NOTHING is automatic, especially at the DMV.
When you sell the car, you have to notify the DMV, and the buyer also has to make notification as well. You do it to extract yourself from liability issues, he does it to become the new owner.
If you are a member of the American Automobile Association (AAA, or Auto Club as it is more commonly known), then you can process this transaction at the local auto club office near your home.
I think your best strategy is to get new plates now, retain the vanity plates to put onto the next car you buy, and then your sale will create the least amount of carrying on for the new buyer. Alternatively, leave the car alone, let the next buyer come along and give you a deposit, then you go the next day to get temporary registration so you can transfer the car to the buyer.
Frankly, you are making far too big of an issue. People with vanity plates transfer cars everyday and they keep the vanity plates for the next car. Sometimes a vanity plate is specific to the vehicle -- 04 M3, for example -- and you would not want to keep such a plate to affix to a different car. Surely, if your plate is IM BOB, nobody else would want it, unless their name was Bob.
Add pictures here
βœ–

NO it would get the ORIGINAL number unless it was over 40 years old then it might get a Scottish number 123 ASG
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

βœ–
This is an easy process in California. Visit your local DMV (department of motor vehicles) office and they will be happy to help you get the timing right.
Basically, plates have to be on to drive the car on the street, so you can go with the buyer and get new plates, or you can go before you sell the car and get new plates, or you can sell the car with the plates on it, and ask the buyer to return them to you. Your DMV office will know exactly what needs to be done, and when.
In my state, plates belong to the car, and they move with the car when the car transfers. The exception to that rule is when the car has vanity (personalized) plates, these belong to the owner of the vehicle and they can be transferred to the buyer or retained. I assume your state has similar rules.

Add pictures here
βœ–

The law is - the plates belong to the car! If you sell the car you loose the plates. Change them before you let the car go.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You are in the UK.
If you have another car then you can transfer the plate direct to that, although they make it as difficult (and expensive) as possible by insisting that
both cars are taxed, insured and if necessary MOT'd.
possible inspection of eithere or both
you pay a hefty fee.
If you do not have another car to transfer the plate onto then you will need to put it on retention (another £80+).
If you live a long way from a LVLA office then you will be relying on the post (only use recorded if not registered if the plate is valuable) and will have to send original documents. Even if you are near they make bumbling incompetence into and art form, so make sure you get a receipt for absolutely everything you hand over, and ideally wait until they hand it back.
The only minor sop to sensibility at my LVLA on my last visit is that they had stopped saying you could only park in their car park for half an hour or face being towed away. I presume because they were so dillatory that few customers were dealt with in anything like this time (hours is more normal).
OTOH it is no longer possible to do a "walk through" and exit with ALL the documents required to legally drive the new car (because they 'must' post the tax disk).
To sum up if you were thinking of buying a cherished number from the DVLA - DON'T BOTHER.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sounds like a pain in the a$$!
I can go to the DVLA office in Leeds or Manchester and get it sorted, the only other "issue" I have then is the insurance. When I changed the plate in the first place a couple of years ago they charged me £25 for doing so, god this is getting expensive!!! I'm going to have to change the plate, change the insurance, then when I eventually buy a new car do it all again.
Add pictures here
βœ–

No-one's forcing you to have "GAY 80Y" on your car ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sounds like a pain in the a$$!
I can go to the DVLA office in Leeds or Manchester and get it sorted, the only other "issue" I have then is the insurance. When I changed the plate in the first place a couple of years ago they charged me £25 for doing so, god this is getting expensive!!! I'm going to have to change the plate, change the insurance, then when I eventually buy a new car do it all again.
If you have the other car then it is a little bit easier. Unfortunately I bought "fully" comprehensive insurance with the RAC only to find it wasn't and didn't cover driving other cars. As a result I had to change certificates three times and pay £20 for three days' overlap (probably could have taxed and driven legally with just one certificate providing the vendor played ball).
If you use a retention certificate you avoid the overlap, but have to pay the DVLA more.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Can't do that. Either you sell the car with the plate and then the new owner owns the plate - he might sell it back to you for £10K or why don't you simply give him the car.
Now - either buy your new car and transfer the number before you sell the old one - cheapest.
or
put the plate on retention certificate and sell the car with the original plates - the car will be issued with the original number plate so if you kept them that will be cheaper and all you have to do is to order your new car and transfer the plates and keep the originals safe for re-sale.
Done this 6 years ago and last March.
It's the only way to go... don't ever trust the new owner to relinquish you plate - he probably won't as you are the captive audience that wants it and I would charge you a premium to get it back + all the dammed hassle as only the owner of the vehicle can have the number. New regs come into force soon so plate traders can transfer but I am not too sure about private individuals.
Hugh Sir Hugh of Bognor
--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
βœ–

Agree, I bought a car with a fancy plate already on it and have now transferred it twice.
If you are buying from a dealer things are a little simpler, as they will normally let you have the docs first.
Add pictures here
βœ–