Replace head unit, harman kardon & bluetooth phone - 2004 M3

Hi,

I know this question has been asked a 1,000 times before but there still doesn't seem to be a definitive answer!

I have a 2004 BMW M3 with a cassette head unit, 6 CD changer, Harman Kardon speaker upgrade and Bluetooth mobile prep.

I am looking at buying an Alpine CDA-9855R head unit with Alpine KCA-420i Ipod adapter but obviously I need more than these 2 items!

The seller on eBay said I also need:-

facia adaptor-Autoleads aerial adaptor-Autoleads steering control bmw interface-Alpine £70 for the lot (not stereo ;-))

But surely I'll need something else as it's Harman kardon equipped?

Any advice would be welcome!!

Thanks

Daz

Reply to
Daz

Not sure you will. I've got HK in my M3 cab with an Alpine SatNav head unit and changer / DVD in the boot. I took the head unit out some time back and apart from what you describe I couldn't see anything different.

As I bought the car second hand I don't know the details of the install but its not uncommon to change the head unit or changer so I doubt its overly complicated.

HTH

Reply to
Charles

How does it look? Obviously the BMW headunit fits the car perfectly, I don't want something that looks like Blackpool at night!!!

I used to have a 2001 330ci with HK and when I wanted to change the head unit I was told it couldn't be done as the HK speakers operate at a different voltage (or something). That was in 2001 though so I suppose technology has moved on!!

Reply to
Daz

Have a good think if you want to do this, as the facia adaptors do look gash.

This is why I kept the standard headunit in my e39 and added upgraded speakers and amps.

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

Tend to agree. Personally I wouldn't have changed it myself other than to add the Nav. But then I would have probably specified the OEM nav if I'd bought new.

I'll see if I can post some pics somewhere.

Reply to
Charles