Replace rear shocks (e39 touring)

1997 528iAT e39

I have to replace a shock absorber due to a highly visible crack at the bottom end.

While I'm at it, should I replace any other parts except for the rear shock absorbers and self locking nuts?
Part# is 33521094057 (Sportfarhw). Do I have to buy this one from BMW, or do I have any other options?

Reply to
Johan Karl Larsen

You can buy the parts at

or
among many other part stores. I find the 2 mentioned above very reliable. The both have free shipping and no sales tax on items which cost more than $90.00

Good luck and let us know how the project went.

Reply to
avinator

Just where is that crack? Do you have a panned out photo?

Reply to
adder1969

This is the lower end of the shock facing the road.

-- Johan

Reply to
Johan Karl Larsen

How about just doing a quick weld if the shock is still working fine? This isn't a critical area for leakage and the weight of the car is pushing against the other side of the mount (opposite side of the crack). A few Pounds beats a few quite a few Pounds for replacing a good shock.

Bill Chorba '86 535i chipped

Bill