Replace rear shocks (e39 touring)

1997 528iAT e39
I have to replace a shock absorber due to a highly visible crack at the bottom end.
http://itlarsen.net/e39shock.jpg
While I'm at it, should I replace any other parts except for the rear shock
absorbers and self locking nuts? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DH61&mospidG558&btnr3_0523&hg3&fgE
Part# is 33521094057 (Sportfarhw). Do I have to buy this one from BMW, or do I have any other options?
Johan Karl Larsen http://www.itlarsen.net
You can buy the parts at www.bimmerzone.com, or www.autohausaz.com among many other part stores. I find the 2 mentioned above very reliable. The both have free shipping and no sales tax on items which cost more than $90.00
Good luck and let us know how the project went.
Johan Karl Larsen wrote:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DH61&mospidG558&btnr3_0523&hg3&fgE
Just where is that crack? Do you have a panned out photo?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

This is the lower end of the shock facing the road.
-- Johan
How about just doing a quick weld if the shock is still working fine? This isn't a critical area for leakage and the weight of the car is pushing against the other side of the mount (opposite side of the crack). A few Pounds beats a few quite a few Pounds for replacing a good shock.
Bill Chorba '86 535i chipped
wrote:

shock
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DH61&mospidG558&btnr3_0523 &hg3&fgE