Replacing a E46 Exhaust

Took my 1999 car in for an oil service last week and when I went to pick it up the dealer gave me an 'advisory' item and that was the middle exhaust is
blowing. I can barely hear it when I stand outside the car on idle and not at all driving it. Anyway asked the dealer how much it would cost to have this replaced (323SE) and he got back to me today and said the middle and front section come as complete unit and the fitted cost including VAT would be 1050 GBP. Ouch me thinks, although the guy said he should be able to reduce it under the Four Plus scheme. I am going to wait and see what happens when I take the car in next month for its annual MOT, but would like to ask people on this group what their thoughts are. Would they go after market or even mail order if it needs to be done, or is this a false economy? I have no plans to sell the car, might look at exchanging it in another 3 years time. Given the original lasted 8.5 years would it be worth spending that kind of money even if I planed to keep it for another 8.5 years?
Mick

You could get a second hand one from a breakers. That'd be the cheapest option. A grand for an exhaust? Even if it's the cat it's a lot of money.

Is it this? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BM32&mospid=47616&btnr=18_0329&hg=18&fg=10
In which case it includes the cats. If it were me I'd split it and put in an aftermarket box, or no box at all.
Is it this? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BM32&mospidG616&btnr _0329&hg&fg
In which case it includes the cats. If it were me I'd split it and put in an aftermarket box, or no box at all.
It could be mines a saloon and the one you link to is the coupe. Thanks for your response.
What does "Blowing" A hole in the exhaust pipe? Get under the car and see what happening. If it's a hole, use muffler tape to fix it.