Replacing corrode fuel pipe

My 1987 BMW fuel piping is getting rather corroded, and is now leaking just after the fuel filter. I would like to replace the whole length from the
filter (at back of car) through to the the Injection system at the front. I assume there must be an acceptable DIY way to do this with some type of suitable plastic tubing, running parallel to the old tube, and probably secured with cable ties. Given the age of the car and its likely residual life, that seems a sensible approach to me.
Any comments on this? What tubing would be it would be suitable? How can it be safely connected at the two ends?
Thanks for any help. Steve

possibly microbore tubing could be used i suppose or plastic as you suggest although i would be more inclined to removing the old pipe completely first
You could probably use fuel line (not plastic tubing). If it were me tho; I would use metal and replace the existing tubing. Fuel line that lenght may require another fuel pump to keep the pressure up & constant... Just a guess tho.

39 from here for pukka kit http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/so_brakepipeflaringkit.cfm

Gandalf wrote:

Or just go to the dealer; pre-formed brake pipes are often quite cheap. They're only steel.

although machine mart is cheaper for same kit

Last steel fuel pipe I replaced, I used some plastic tubing, with the same outside diameter as the steel pipe that it replaced. I just removed the steel pipe, and put the plastic in it's place. I think I may of put on a couple extra cable ties , but it done the job.
Is it just me or what? I don't think plastic should be used for fuel lines. I know it's getting pretty damn common but I think it's pretty cheap of the manufacturer to do this. How much can a metal line cost? At least it won't crack in a few short years from the heat and cold it's exposed to. Much less burn through (melt) much faster in an accident related fire...
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:05:44 -0000, "M Cuthill"

OP here. Thanks for all the replies, although there seems to have been a drift towards brake pipe technology, rather than fuel pipes. I do have a flaring kit, so I could produce flared ends to steel, copper or monel (?) tubing. But they are designed for compression fittings, rather than the "rubber tube and jubilee clip" technology used on BMW's fuel pipes. No doubt, however, that putting a slight flare on the end of a metal tube will make a rubber tube / jubilee clip connection much more secure.
But does anyone have any specifics about the type of plastic tubing I could use, and the connections I could make to it? I assume there is a well-engineered solution to be had using plastic?
Thanks Steve
Relax, everyone - job done! The pragmatic approach worked out fine. I just cut off the last 6 inches of steel pipe, where the worst of the corrosion was, and joined up to my filter with a slightly longer piece of rubber petrol hose and jubilee clips.
Steve
says...

Nice.
--
Conor,

Same shit, different day.

Hope you used the correct high pressure hose?
--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.