Replacing corrode fuel pipe

My 1987 BMW fuel piping is getting rather corroded, and is now leaking just after the fuel filter. I would like to replace the whole length from the filter (at back of car) through to the the Injection system at the front. I assume there must be an acceptable DIY way to do this with some type of suitable plastic tubing, running parallel to the old tube, and probably secured with cable ties. Given the age of the car and its likely residual life, that seems a sensible approach to me.

Any comments on this? What tubing would be it would be suitable? How can it be safely connected at the two ends?

Thanks for any help. Steve

Reply to
Steve W

possibly microbore tubing could be used i suppose or plastic as you suggest although i would be more inclined to removing the old pipe completely first

Reply to
Mindwipe

Josh Assing

Reply to
Gandalf

Or just go to the dealer; pre-formed brake pipes are often quite cheap. They're only steel.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Last steel fuel pipe I replaced, I used some plastic tubing, with the same outside diameter as the steel pipe that it replaced. I just removed the steel pipe, and put the plastic in it's place. I think I may of put on a couple extra cable ties , but it done the job.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

although machine mart is cheaper for same kit

Reply to
Mindwipe

OP here. Thanks for all the replies, although there seems to have been a drift towards brake pipe technology, rather than fuel pipes. I do have a flaring kit, so I could produce flared ends to steel, copper or monel (?) tubing. But they are designed for compression fittings, rather than the "rubber tube and jubilee clip" technology used on BMW's fuel pipes. No doubt, however, that putting a slight flare on the end of a metal tube will make a rubber tube / jubilee clip connection much more secure.

But does anyone have any specifics about the type of plastic tubing I could use, and the connections I could make to it? I assume there is a well-engineered solution to be had using plastic?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Relax, everyone - job done! The pragmatic approach worked out fine. I just cut off the last 6 inches of steel pipe, where the worst of the corrosion was, and joined up to my filter with a slightly longer piece of rubber petrol hose and jubilee clips.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

***

Reply to
Psycho

Nice.

Reply to
Conor

Hope you used the correct high pressure hose?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)