Replacing E36 Rear Wheel Bearing

Is it hard to replace rear wheel bearing? What special tool needed?
Thanks, dadik

I just did that job on my e30 a few weeks ago. It uses the same bearing as your e36. You can do it on a Saturday if you have all the parts and tools ready to go. You will need to have a threaded type puller to extract the bearing from its housing and to install the new one. I tried to use a slide hammer puller from my local tool rental shop but I couldn't budge the bearing with it in spite of some pretty violent efforts. The bearing pullers are available from Bavarian Autosport for $275 but fortunately I have a metal lathe and could make one up for the job although it took me a whole day to finish it. You will also need a pretty robust set of circlip pliers to remove the circlip that retains the bearing. In addition to the new bearing you will need a new locking ring for the axle nut as it is not possible to remove the old one without destroying it. An alternate approach is to remove the entire trailing arm and take it to your local machine shop to have them replace the bearing. The downside being that you have to remove the brake line and parking brake cable that are attached to the trailing arm. Or you can take it in and have it done. They will charge you 2.5 to 3 hours labor. The bearing costs $30 on Ebay, $50 from Bavarian, and probably $85 from BMW. I hope this helps - Good Luck Jack

Jack wrote:

You can't press it out with a hydraulic press?
Jack wrote:

Believe it or not, I used a hammer to smack the middle of the hub and it popped the bearing forward! Nice ;)
Nick
--
www.freefonesoftware.co.uk