replacing hood release cable on '97 E38

Just got a quote of $430.00 from the dealer to replace the hood release cable on a '97 740IL...Can anybody provide some guidance or tell me where to find the
steps to DIY???? Please answer soon as I can't open the hood on my big baby and you know how they are when they start feeling neglected
--
bigboy

bigboy wrote:

My hood wouldn't open unless I wedged the release lever open and then tried it. Sometimes the little hood lifters stick. Then after a while it wouldn't open at all and after forcing the cable to open it I noticed that the second piece of cable from the first latch to the second had come out of it's fixings and wasn't actually doing much. After a bit of playing around I got it all installed properly and now everything works as it should. There are two sets of adjusters - one on each cable. I suspect that the dealer will simply quote for a whole new cable assembly as that's easier and more profitable than troubleshooting the problem.