Replacing the OBC screen E39

I have a 2002 525iT, no Nav, DSC.
Carrying some long lumber that extended between the front seats and had to make an emergency stop. One of the boards came forward and
slammed into the OBC (radio) screen wiping it out. It's nothing but an orange blur now. Quite dramatic but usless. All the buttons still work (far as I can tell from the audio), but the screen's gone.
BMW wants my firstborn to replace it. I've found a used one for $350. Does anyone have a better idea? More to the point, does anyone have a reference to a how-to on doing the replacement?
Thanks for any advice.
Same thing happened in my '99 528iT with the cargo cover placed between seats. Bought used display on eBay for $180 and it was easy to install (once I checked my Bentley manual). Remove (pull) the volume knob and use a very small allen wrench (can't recall size) to turn release mechanism about 90 degrees. With release disengaged, ease the display out with small flat head screw driver (or credit card) each side of display. Five minutes and you're done.
Lorne '99 528iT Dinan S1 '02 Audi S4