rolling windows up with key?

Page 1 of 2
i know there is a way for me to roll down my windows using the remote on my e46 2004 330i.
but, can i roll them back up with the remote?
may be a stupid question, sorry.
Rodney
"rhalljr" wrote

Are you in the US? In US-bound cars this feature is disabled. Apparently there is a way to recode to car's computer to allow for this but most dealers will rather tell you that "it cannot be done".
Pete
Yes, sorry, i am in the us. I will call my dealer right now.
Pete wrote:

rhalljr wrote:

what the hell are you apologizing for?
--
-Fred W

Apologising for not stating his location in the first place? Saves asking...
--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Correct, i forgot to mention location.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:49:24 -0400, rhalljr

I am in the US and I have an E46 (2002 Model year). The windows close back when I hit the lock button and hold it for a few seconds on my remote. I only tried that option a few times when I just got the car and was in "play mode". My wife just got an E91 (328xiT) and although it will open all the windows and the moonroof when holding and pressing the open button, it refuses to close them back when pushing and holding the lock button on her remote. All I can do there is manually close all the windows again. So they may have changed something after 2002. Your dealer should be able to tell.
your 328XiT must be SWEET! I have an '03 330Xi, but am falling in love with the new 3 series, especially the "T".
Strange that I like them as I am on my 4th bimmer and really don't like most of anything "Bangle-ized".
lol

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:40:16 -0400, "Choam Nomsky"

And it comes with the angel eyes standard when you get the adaptive xenons. I don't get why they call it a 328xiT, since it's a 3 liter engine. She didn't want the sports package since she doesn't like the low bucket seats I have in mine. Other then that she's fully loaded. And you should check the moon roof. It's *huge* compared to what's on my 325xi. Almost double the size. Very nice job they did with the E90 and E91 models.

Moonroof ? Here in the UK these are always refered to as 'the sunroof'. Is moonroof a common term in the USA ?

On the BMWUSA web site, they call it a moonroof. Most call it a sun roof.

Interesting difference. Could be in the hotter areas of the US the roof is only opened in the cool of the night - during the day it would just make the AC less efficient and there's too much sun anyway. In the UK any sign of the sun is to be made the best of. And at night it's the heater that matters.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Here they call it a moonroof, alhough I heard some call it a sunroof occasionally. I assumed it was because they are tinted. The moonroof on my 328xiT is huge, by the way. It comes in 2 panels, one smaller one over the back seats. It's almost twice the size as on my e46 325xi. Very sweet ride, by the way. She didn't like the X3, and the X5 was bigger then her Jeep, so she picked the 325xiT. The only thing she didn't like about it was the lack of a cargo strap-in net in the back, which she had in the Jeep. Her groceries were flying all over the place when she came back from the store. She ended up buying one of these boxes to fit her stuff in the back. Other then that she *loves* that car.

"Moonroof" usually refers to a sunroof with a transparent panel. "Sunroof" usually refers to an opaque panel. Wikepedia's article on "sunroof" expands upon this.
FloydR

    In the US, a sunroof is a solid metal panel, while a moonroof is a tinted glass panel that can let in light without being opened. Because the former is no longer common, the words are now used interchangeably.     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill

In the UK, on my E36 I could just shut the doors, lcok it and the windows would close automatically as I casually walked away looking like a smug git.
On my E46 I have to stand like a lemon next to the car holding the button down and hope that they go all the way up.
On my E38 sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't by holding the key in the locked position.
I really liked the automatic closing.
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:15:47 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@my.home"

    Ditto for my 2003 - holding the "lock" button the remote will raise all the windows and close the moonroof; I think this stayed the same for the entire run of the E46 models, so give it a try.     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill

Interesting as this does not work on my '99 328i. The key will lower the windows when turned in the door keyhole, but not simply by holding the lock button down (tried it for 20"). I wonder which E46 year was the first for this feature.
Tom K.
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:15:02 -0400, "Tom K."

Maybe it's something that needs to be programmed in the OBC? I got mine reprogrammed at the dealership as I didn't want the autolock on the doors. In the newer models you can program alot more yourself into the OBC (my wife activated the autolock doors option herself from the iDrive, for example). Maybe the dealer activated the feature to remotely close the doors and moonroof on my E46 (2002 model year)? I just know in my case when any windows are open, holding down the lock button (the BMW bezel) on my remote closes them remotely. I don't remember even having used my keys to open or close anything on my car.
there have been some accidents with children (including a horiffic accident in which a 2 y.o. girl was decapitated while standing on the close window switch) that have lead car makers to limit some of the auto features for closing sunroofs and windows.
In europe there are tight restrictions about what the car can do when the key is removed.
that is why some newer cars seem to have less advanced auto close features than older cars.