Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

Page 14 of 14
On 03/26/2013 03:00 PM, tm wrote:

Sadly, I speak from experience, in both respects.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 03/26/2013 11:46 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

no, what you're experiencing is her "disappointment" at discovering that you are an anosognosic retard.

--
fact check required

On 03/26/2013 09:03 PM, jim beam wrote:

On this one subject I have no doubt you have personal experience, unlike most of your posts.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Bear in mind that the $75 Sitronic Ebay FSU is known to be even more faulty than the $175 Valeo FSU from the stealer.
I can think of nice test equipment to buy instead of a $175 FSU every few years!

I feel your pain. I have a 1980 MB 300SD. For the AC, MB used a part from Chrysler that they used on the Imperial. It's the size of a grapefruit and it controls the entier HVAC system. In that one widget you have a valve that's in the path of the engine coolant system that goes to the heater, about a dozen vacuum hoses that control the various flaps. You also have the electical outputs for the blower, AC clutch, etc. And all that is driven by a small electric motor that is inside the thing. The motor is part of a feedback servo system that moves in relation to the desired temp setting vs the actual. It goes from max cooling, to max heating. Oh, and a critical part of that sytem is the potentiometer inside that widget, the resistance value of which changes based on the current position of the motor that works the whole thing, moving it from max cooling to max heat.
So, you have hot engine coolant, vacuum, electrical, a potentiometer, all inside one widget. How smart is that? The typical failure mechanism is that the plastic housing cracks and it leaks coolant. They were up to $600 in the 90s for a new one. Some guy down in TN started a business rebuilding them. His uses an aluminum housing for the part where the valve and hot coolant are. I bought one 10 years ago for $500. It's been fine until recently. Now it's starting to have problems. Haven't had a chance to find out what's wrong.