Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

Here is a google translation

REGULATOR ELMOS 10901D Car Voltage Regulator Category: Car Source: Radioland country Electronics Temperature controller cabin air KAMAZ

Source: Plans radiokonstruktsy Simple Temperature compensated voltage regulator. Controller together with thyristor-transistor electronic ignition unit with a long spark, ensuring the rapid start-ups at various operating conditions, allowed to increase battery life of up to nine years.

Source: For the life of a soldering iron ... Regulator for automotive windshield

Source: MASTER KIT The controller measures the wiper-this control is designed to use regular mode switch blades and is contactless.

Source: For the life of a soldering iron ... Temperature compensated voltage regulator device in some ways superior designs. The controller can be used as a universal device is suitable not only for mounting on any car, but everywhere, where the generator rotor speed is variable (eg, wind power). Choose the appropriate control elements, it can be easily adapted to work with any voltage (up to 400V) and excitation current (tens of amperes).

Source: For the life of a soldering iron ... Voltage regulator 2012.3702, 22.3702, 221.3702

Source: For the life of a soldering iron ... Voltage regulator 201.3702

Source: For the life of a soldering iron ... Voltage Regulator 13.3702

Source: For the life of a soldering iron ... Voltage regulator RR132A, 1112.3702

Reply to
Bimmer Owner

Googling for the Russian text, I find they appear to have the same problem with the same FSU over here:

Bimmer Owner

switch blades and is contactless.

you don't need to know this stuff any more than you need to know the gas excitation voltage in a broken fluorescent tube. because you're not going to unpot the thing and replace the chip. because it's probably not the chip in the first place.

not trying to be rude - just trying to get you focused on the relevant stuff - that the two options are:

  1. continue replacing the existing [under-rated, low tech] unit.
  2. build and deploy a pwm unit instead.

#1 is really not /that/ expensive, particularly if you factor in time, even if it is part of the bmw marketing susceptibility tax.

#2 is a much better time investment - it certainly has a much better return than figuring out that the existing unit is not repairable later rather than sooner.

Reply to
jim beam

you don't want to try and use a 10/20A meter in the slot of a 40A fuse. you probably already know that, but just saying.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote on Fri, 22 Mar 2013 07:04:19 -0700:

I don't know how many bmws are out there, but let's say it's a million and then multiply that million by 100 dollars, and then let's see how much it is in terms of expense.

Reply to
andrew s

If it's just a typical DC motor with two leads, apply 12V and it should run full speed. You could also measure how many amps it draws when running. That is, IF it's just an ordinary motor.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
clare

It's kind of amazing the fuse is 40 amps, no? I mean a 1 hp motor draws ~1500W And this heater blower is 480W? Seems like a lot to me.....

Reply to
trader4

in this thread it's been said it draws 6A running. x 12V, that's 72W.

but the reason you have 40A is you have very high current start-up transients. on a cold day with a gale blowing outside the car, and some snow in the system, you could be into the 30's without too much problem. so you need an amperage that will still blow in the event of short circuit, but which will tolerate the above.

Reply to
jim beam

Have you got a link to these "common problems" you keep posting about?

=========

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I think it's already been suggested, but if the car were my own vehicle, I'd be content with a multi-position switch for the blower motor.. this is a very reliable method.

A heavy duty switch and some over-rated power resistors would likely outlast many replacement OEM miracle-in-a-box modules.

The parts, wire, a cover for the hole where the original removed module was, and a Saturday afternoon would likely cover the cost investment.

I'm fairly certain that there are off-the-shelf variable speed modules that would be an adequate replacement for an automotive blower motor application.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" writes

If by PWM you mean pulse width modulation, then it would allow for variable speed, but a DC motor is an inductive load and is not sensibly controlled by such a system unless there is something in the circuit to allow the peak voltage generated by the motor at pulse cut of to be shunted to earth.

Reply to
Clive

That "something" could be as simple as a diode. PWM is commonly used to vary the power to a motor. BMW, for example, uses it on the aux fan motor of the X5. And I would suspect that it's also used for the blower motor because you wind up wasting a lot less power that way. And every little bit of power saved adds up and effects MPG.

Reply to
trader4

I don't have a link, but we had the blower resistor widget go on an X5 here. And the aux cooling fan motor has gone twice. There are plenty of threads online about many people having those problems. Oh, and don't forget the nice X5 feature where the cable that they use to hold up the windows snaps, sending the window crashing down inside the door, breaking it into a million pieces. Had that happen twice too, once while the car was just sitting in the driveway. Other time was driving down the highway.

Then there are their defective rubber parts. Like the boot on the intake manifold that cracks in just a few years. Or the CV joint boots. I've had lots of cars with CV boots and only on the X5 do they fail every 20K miles. I've seen Honda CRVs that went 200K miles with no failure.

Reply to
trader4

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" writes

I agree with all you say.

Reply to
Clive

that must have been interesting - what did that motor do?

that must have been a sight to see too.

shipped to china? or replaced by pwm controllers?

Reply to
jim beam

ancient news - controller designers and semiconductor manufacturers have been on top of this from day 1.

Reply to
jim beam

serious question - why did you buy it?

Reply to
jim beam

In message , Bimmer Owner writes

Motors are not just a resistive load though.

Reply to
Clive

PWM is the most common method of controlling the speed of DC motors - a flywheel diode is part of the "system" to handle the inductive kick-back. Virtually all battery operated variable speed power tools use PWM. So do virtually all electric bicycles with brush motors and the vast majority of electric forklifts.

In fact, just about any application of a brush type DC motor that requires reasonable speed control has switched to PWM control of some sort over the last 20 years, including power wheel chairs (except those using 3 phase brushless motors)

Reply to
clare