Run Flat Tires

Didnt know that. I stand corrected. Why would they do that ? I'm sure modern tires (remember, the nsx isn't the new kid on the block anymore) can be used now.

insane. I guess they thought they would only be driven on a track.

Reply to
RT

It begs the question, why would anyone replace the unique, custom-designed OEM spec. tires with same-size generics on that particular car?

The second used NSX I bought (to replace the one I stuffed through a length of concrete fence posts backwards and sideways, but that's another story) had Michelin Pilots, or some such, with a very sexy, swoopy tread pattern on. They were nearly new, but I put the correct Yokos on it and gave the old rears to a friend for the front of his M3. The fronts went in the recycle bin.

I drove that NSX for a couple of thousand miles on the Michelins at first, and I can assure you that they were the *wrong* tires for the car. There was definitely a slingshot, lag effect with lateral movement at speed, as opposed to the instant, firm shift with the OEM Yokos and Bridgestones.

Reply to
Dean Dark

The tread ply angles are directional for each side, which is what makes them left and right handed. Also, the sidewalls are *much* stiffer than regular tires, but that's not a directional thing.

The OEM rubber compound is relatively soft, and is a different hardness between the fronts and rears. All in all, it's silly to put anything other than the purpose designed OEM tires on this particular car, even if you have the irrational urge to rotate the tires and things like that.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Mostly better tire wear.

The NSX absolutely had to have tires in good shape: right pressure and adequate tread. It's absolutely twitchy/bitchy when they get worn - handling always improved with a fresh set. And you didn't want to drive it in the rain if the rears were close to the wear bars.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Yes, well, that's like buying Kraft cheese slices instead of good cheddar. It's certainly cheaper...

Reply to
Dean Dark

Stock setting on what? The type of car would be helpful to determine if it has any appreciable rear camber dialed in.

Reply to
Fred W

Well, I replied to the M3 comment...

Reply to
RT

OK so you're saying you have an M3 with 275 width rear tires, stock camber settings and you don't wear the inner edges of your tires out first?

You are lying.

Reply to
Fred W