Run Flat Tires

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:08:58 -0500, Dean Dark

they're not 'different', they are rotational. nothing new. By the way, the M3 also has different sizes front and back and also rotational tires.

possible on any car with independent suspension.

Yes, but the M3 doesn't have a different *part number* for the left and right tires, does it? You can swap the tires side to side on the M3 rims. You can't do that on the NSX.

But it's pretty pointless on most cars.
Those tire eating alignment settings are actually the first, original Honda alignment spec. It's a long story, Google can tell you if you're interested.
--
Dan.

It depends upon *which* set of tires you bought. The OEM tires were unidirectional and left/right. However, some replacement tires were only unidirectional and *NOT* left/right. Those could be dis- mounted and remounted on the other side to "rotate" them, if you really cared to do so. Since the fronts never lasted more than about 12K miles and the rears never more than 6K, there's really no purpose in doing so.
FloydR - former NSX owner.
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:45:45 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"

It begs the question, why would anyone replace the unique, custom-designed OEM spec. tires with same-size generics on that particular car?
The second used NSX I bought (to replace the one I stuffed through a length of concrete fence posts backwards and sideways, but that's another story) had Michelin Pilots, or some such, with a very sexy, swoopy tread pattern on. They were nearly new, but I put the correct Yokos on it and gave the old rears to a friend for the front of his M3. The fronts went in the recycle bin.
I drove that NSX for a couple of thousand miles on the Michelins at first, and I can assure you that they were the *wrong* tires for the car. There was definitely a slingshot, lag effect with lateral movement at speed, as opposed to the instant, firm shift with the OEM Yokos and Bridgestones.
--
Dan.

Mostly better tire wear.
The NSX absolutely had to have tires in good shape: right pressure and adequate tread. It's absolutely twitchy/bitchy when they get worn - handling always improved with a fresh set. And you didn't want to drive it in the rain if the rears were close to the wear bars.
FloydR
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:45:14 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"
<NSX tires>

Yes, well, that's like buying Kraft cheese slices instead of good cheddar. It's certainly cheaper...
--
Dan.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:22:15 -0500, Dean Dark

Didnt know that. I stand corrected. Why would they do that ? I'm sure modern tires (remember, the nsx isn't the new kid on the block anymore) can be used now.

insane. I guess they thought they would only be driven on a track.

The tread ply angles are directional for each side, which is what makes them left and right handed. Also, the sidewalls are *much* stiffer than regular tires, but that's not a directional thing.
The OEM rubber compound is relatively soft, and is a different hardness between the fronts and rears. All in all, it's silly to put anything other than the purpose designed OEM tires on this particular car, even if you have the irrational urge to rotate the tires and things like that.
--
Dan.