Seat Heater Smells

I have a 2000 528i. Just recently as the driver's seat heater starts getting warm it has started to smell like somthing is smoldering. Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions before I take it in to the shop?

Thanks in advance

Randy

Reply to
randy.blaustein

I'd suggest you don't use your seat heater. If it over-temps there is the possibility of having a fire under your butt. Volvo had to recall a bunch of cars because of this, and bet they same company makes the heating elements for BMW.

Reply to
admin

Could it possibly be an article of clothing? FWIW, my wife ruined a (vinyl?) coat using the seat heater on her Saab. Although the heater was functioning normally, the coat material just wasn't up to it.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

At what point did your wife realize her coat was melting?

Reply to
grinder

... Tom, :-) ... when did your wife realize that she was hot?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Luckily, it didn't catch fire - I think she discovered it upon getting out of the car. It must have been a pretty cheap coat!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Don't know - but I realized it on our first date!

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Don't FART before you switch on;>))

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

I had read Randy that someone had taken An Acura driver's seat (TL or TSX, I believe)apart and found the seat cushion had burn holes from said heater.

It would be prudent to check out this smell to the end (pardon the pun):)

Reply to
justB.