Selling Privately?

Beemers often retain quite a bit of value. Do people here feel safe inviting strangers to test-drive them in order to sell them privately?

Reply to
Vik Rubenfeld

  1. If they arrive in a car ask for their car keys while they drive yours.
  2. Check insurance cover.
  3. If pos go with the person(s).
  4. Beware of the stooges..........although difficult to spot. I had a "couple" arrange to look at my car. They arrived and all seemed fine. I asked for their car keys while they took mine off for a test. On their return I showed them all the documents. Then they appeared disinterested even though the car and paperwork were in excellent order. They did not even want to make an offer even after I asked them to. Anyways off they went leaving me rather bewildered. 30 minutes after they left I got a phone call from a "dealer" who seemed to know everything about the car even though he had not seen it. He then went off on one telling me how much it was worth and I would not get what I wanted for it. I can only conclude the visitors were his stooges. I had one other very aggressive chap which concludes at 5.
  5. Put car immediately into a motor auction.........I did after 4.

ted

Reply to
Ted

Yeah sure. As long as they bring their own helmet. Now if you were referring to BIMMERS-the cars- that's a different question.

Idiot.

Reply to
tech27

Just go with them. Never leave them unattended, no matter how good the story, what keys you keep, whatever, they could easily arrange to completely defraud you. It's a simple matter to forge and ownership and give you keys and papers to a stolen car of lesser value in exchange for a used bimmer. Or, to thrash the living heck out of it and give it back after the joyride is over.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody