Serpentine Belt goes bad too soon.

Page 3 of 3

I believe so. Today, I ran the motor with the belt off. There are no signs of wobble. I was tempted to measure the crank pulley with a dial indicator and check the pulleys/idlers plane-parallel to each other but it looks tough. All the other pulley spin without effort. The tensioner is very nice and tight. Everything looks nice and clean.
I never buy belts from the same retailer once they fail. For the sake of documentation, I'd snap a photo of the belts, you could see it here.
http://www.freewebs.com/nickaby/belts.jpg Picture A is a belt from alloembmwparts.com, AKA thepartsbin.com, which I had been fooled by their oem name. This belt shows signs of cracking in a couple weeks, which eventually self destructs. Picture B (not high- resolution image) is a pretty good belt, no signs of cracking even after a year, except for a section missing. Good retailer, in fact I got many aftermarket rubber parts from www.europartsdirect.com and pretty satisfied.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:49:44 GMT, "Sam Nickaby"

Those cracks...crap rubber. Not able to take the tight radius of the idler pulleys without coming apart. IOW, no elasticity left in them.
As a test, I ūt= you can bend that belt with your hands, in your hands, away from the groves, and watch it CRACK right in front of your eyes.
Lg
Add pictures here
✖
Forgive me if I am repeating someone but -
Do you drive the car hard? Redline or high RPM's? Do you have a clutch fan? Have you verified that it disengages properly?
Blake
Add pictures here
✖

Nope. Wife drives car. M44, 4-cyl engine is smooth at all rpm.
60% highway - 32-MPG 40% city - 29-MPG
Add pictures here
✖