Service Engine Soon Light - 2005 X3

It is irritating light day! This one is a bit stranger. I replaced the air filter with a K&N. Works beautifully! Every weekend we ski in the mountains. One weekend, the above light went on. Dealer reset the
light, and said we need to switch back to a BMW air filter. Light has been off for 3 weeks. Came back on this weekend while we were skiing. Two questions:
Is the light coming on related to the altitude, the cold, the K&N or something else?
How do I reset the bloody thing?
Thanks!
John

You need to pull the engine codes to know the answer to that one.

What was the code he pulled?

I don't know, because I don't know what the code is. The light tells you that a code has been set. You use the scan tool to find what code was set. Then you figure out what is wrong from there.
I will say that the K&N filters are a great way to damage your engine, though. They do allow better flow and therefore slightly better peak horsepower, but they also allow more crap to flow through them, and they don't really improve drivability at normal rpms.

You get a scan tool or take it to someone who has a scan tool and you figure out what code was set. Once you know this you can figure out if you can reset it or not, because it depends on the code. --scott

After serious thinking Scott Dorsey wrote :

Just what I needed to know!
Thanks!

I completely agree.
best regards
David
--- ---
on 3/9/10 12:17 PM David Skelton said the following:

Advance AutoParts will scan for free.
It has been my experience that " check engine " light is the BIGGEST gaff EVER ! I'm not saying that they can not be most helpful in diagnosing problems . My belief is that they are designed to force you to a dealer . Buy yourself a " code reader " and you can reset it ( light goes out ) or it will show you what the problem is . I use " auto Xray " which is not that expensive . I have reset codes that NEVER showed up again . HTH , D.