Service interval.

I was keeping clear of saying this since later cars *should* use more modern techniques.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What determines vintage? 92 '?

Thanks for your help on that. ;-)

Josh Assing

E30's have batteries, E36'es are NVRam

Reply to
Fred W

e32's?

Josh Assing

Probably changed during the run since the E32 started way back in the late 80's

Reply to
Fred W

righto; ok -- so back to my question -- of what makes a car vintage? (ie: battery vs. non vol. ram) is 92 vintage? Or more specifically 92 735i e32 vintage?

Or another way to ask -- how can I tell w/o ripping the dash apart?

-j

Josh Assing

Why do you care? Did the SI lights reset when you disconnected the (main) battery? IOW, did you have one or more of the greens already extinguished and now they are all lit?

Reply to
Fred W

Maybe this is a clue to two things

If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it a few moments later, should the trip odometer be zero'd out or should it remember?

If it should remember, that would lead to the assumption of it has batteries & they're dead, wouldn't it?

Josh Assing

All 3 were already lit up; services were just done; including oil change; but I barely drive the car... as I understand it; the computer takes into account driving style & time in determining "change the oil" -- if the battery goes dead in, say one month, will it reset it such that it thinks the oil was just changed?'

Thanks

-josh

Josh Assing

Don't know about the trip-odometer...

Reply to
Fred W

No, it should not. Otherwise people would not bother buying $100 reset tools. They would just disconnect their battery and then re-enter the radio code.

Reply to
Fred W

Thanks.

-josh