shift lever disconnected

325i '87 200K miles
My stick (shift lever) is completely disconnected from everything, and is just dangling loose. It's stuck in 5th gear. There is no
way to change the gear.
Before that, it was vibrating really bad and making noises like it was rubbing against something, unless I held it in place ( when in Neutral and over 50mph.) I guess that vibration is what did it.
Is there any way to fix it?