shifter sometimes "pops" out

Only sometines while starting out in first. It pops with a bang! I've tryed to hold it in but it actually pushes my hand back! and makies a loud bang!
Does anyone know whats up?

Is it a mid-90's 5 speed, S5D 250G? If so, the latest Roundel had a Tech Talk article on it. They noted SIB 23-02-99, it's a problem with incorrectly machined sleeves in the gearbox. Rebuilding it with a new 1/2 sleeve is the only fix (other than a new gearbox.)
FloydR
What car?
I'm inclined to suggest motor mounts and/or transmission mount. These are cheap and easy. However, there is always the chance that your transmission is toast, but that't expensive and hard. Cheap and Easy is always first at my house.

Does your wife know this? ;->
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:24:05 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

Of course she does... Who do you think spends all his money so he *has* to live "cheap and easy" ;->
D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

wrote

Yes. She insists that I be cheap, and easy. The cheaper I am, the more she likes it, and we aren't even going to talk about what happens when I'm easy ...
I'm on my second E39 5-speed manual that does the same thing, except mine always pops out of second gear, especially if I just shifted from first to second quickly, followed by hard acceleration. It happens occasionally in both my E39's and it does make a fearful bang. I've found that if I really make sure the shifter is well seated in the second gear position before releasing the clutch that it will stay there, no matter how hard I accelerate. This slower shifting motion slows me down a little bit of course, but it does seem to solve the problem. I guess when I shift too quickly the gears don't fully mesh even though the shifter won't move back any further into the second gear position.
Mo wrote:

It sounds like maybe your shifter linkage bushings are sloppy and you are not getting it fully in gear when shifting quickly?
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here: