short shift in 2001 M3

i'm putting a short shift in my

2001 M3 . i've done some research and know that BMW has a " performance " kit . i've also read that " UUC " has an even better kit . has anyone had ANY experience with either ? the E46 stock shifter REALLY sucks . it was addressed in the most recent issue of " roundel magazine . if any of you have something to add to this please reply .
Reply to
D.

Have you changed your transmission fluid? If not, try something like Redline MTL or Royal Purple Synchromax. Makes shifting ALOT smoother. Further, you should change both tranny and diff fluids every 30K or so. Good Luck!

Reply to
Brewster Fong

thanks for the reply Brewster , i've had a slight problem with going from 2nd to 3rd . unless it is a perfect move , i get a little " resistance " . the roundel article called the E 46 a spaghetti gear box . there is definately TOO muck moving around ! i have NO doubt that fluids make a difference BUT the E46 shifter is " very loose " D.

Reply to
D.

OK, if shifting is "stiff" I highly recommend changing your fluid to synthetic. Made a BIG difference in my old 535i! Good Luck! Brewster

Reply to
Brewster Fong

My recommendation is the same as that of the "Mad Russian." Get the Ultimate short shift kit made by AutoSolutions. If you're going to spend the time and money you will not be disappointed.

Here is the Mad Russian's website:

Here is Autosoultion's website:

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I've been using the UUC shifter and Redline MTL in a Z3 for almost 8 years and it makes a big difference. The UUC system has been free of problems and makes the shifting much quicker (removes the slop) but the Redline MTL is what made it smooth. The combination makes it an enjoyable experience.

RJD

Reply to
RJD