should i be concerned??

Nice weather...so went over my bmw 525i 94 touring auto

Last week at the mot place, the guy gave me a can of carb cleaner so today i took off the plastic to get to the butterfly. he said open the butterfly, spray the stuff around and clean off with a toothbrush...

I did that, got out lots of black gunk...started it seem fine

I just had to nip to the docs, it cut out a few times at the lights, so i put it in N with a few revs to keep it going(v long light seq) i put it back into D then it said trasm problem and was stuck in third i guess..( i was moving a bit).i got to the docs, with it stalling a couple times, say from D into R to park, and again when i came out....5 minutes later.

This time no trans problem popped up on display and this time i had kickdown etc etc no problem, pulls all the way through the rev band

no this is my first auto, so i panic what to do when it stalls...

i did try while going down the hill (steep) i put it in N (as i wanted to rev it a lot, to clear blast out any crap left in) but it stalled, so i had no power steering or brakes, so i put it into D at low speed...is that ok? i know your not suposed to (or it lets you) go into R or P

I leave for Germany in 48 hours, i got home ok, left it running a few minutes and all seemed fine in N or P just running...maybe its when i braking or coming to a stop, so it should be at tick over (or in N and i rev it, when it comes back down it feels like it wants to stall, then comes back up to normal tick over)

now im worried...any thoughts v much app!! ta

Reply to
Jules

I would be (concerned).

If it ran fine before that then you might have knocked off a vacuum hose or something I guess but I don't think there's really much *to* knock off. Did you replace the rubber hose between the throttle body and airbox?! I'm guessing it didn't run fine before then otherwise why the carb cleaner?

Reply to
adder1969

the car ran fine before....about once a week or v rare it had a bad tick over, actually it happend that day so they said it, its fine for ages...they said that would be the build up around the butterfly, they just said take a can and spray and clean off the gunk.

nothing knocked off...

I have just been for a spin, to fill up and noticed this

when im in traffic, so i let it crawl its fine...the problem seems the v split second i add a bit of power, it can cut out then.not good if i need to look at junctions etc.if i give more power, it gets past the dip and is fine, pulls and changes fine...

im used to old simple 70's cars, nothing fancy just nice n simple.

i think i will take it back off and give it a clean around the butterfly

no more probs with led or display saying trans problem, it just changed fine when i floored it.

on a ligher note, i had a the tiny little bulb go for a couple of weeks, so it failed on that (the bulb on a v long stalk about main bulb) anyway i changed it so it passed, but now (never before while out) that the buld has failed, sometimes it pops up....crazy

Reply to
Jules

No offence, but from your posts, you don't give the impression you know what you are doing.

My suggestion is to take it to someone who does. I am not being nasty BTW, but would you attempt to fix you gas or electricity on your house yourself if you didn't know what you were doing?

Reply to
Ed

I would suspect a problem is brewing in the area of the Mass air flow sensor...

Nick

Reply to
Nick