Should I trade an e46 330ci sport for an e36 M3?

I have a 2002 e46 330ci Sport with c40,000 miles on it. I'm considering selling it and with part of the cash getting a 1998 or thereabouts M3 (I'm in the UK) with perhaps 70,000 miles on it.

I've never driven an M3 and although my 330 is pretty fast and handles really well, I'm temted by the M3.

Does anyone have any experience of these two cars who could comment/advise?

Regards,

Ranger

Reply to
Ranger

IMO, I think it would be a mistake. JMO/YMMV.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Drive the M3, then decide. It's pointless to ask others which car you would like, since we don't know what you like.

'Ranger'? You should buy a Ford pickup truck.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

considering

handles

comment/advise?

I have an E46 M3 and am thinking the same thing, or a 328 sport & some modifications. It comes down to you.

Reply to
adder1969

Hi,

I was at the same decision about one year ago: Buy an Year-Old-E46

330ci, or an E36 M3 for around the same price, but with more mileage or/and older.

I think comparing the "Feeling" when driving it is only havlf the truth. You have to put the "feeling" into conideration what you get when you pay for service / Maintenance / repair. These costs are not likely to decrease with car-age.

The point is that some of my dealers warned me because nearly EVERYTHING concerning service, Parts, Repairs etc is more expensive for the M3 than for the "Normal" series.

Reply to
Holger Hirschfeld

Drove home from work this evening and the 330 was fantastic, so still in a quandry. I think I'll try to find an e36 M3 I can test drive and see how it feels.

Thanks for all the advice and, by the way, Ranger is as in Rangers Football Club don't want anything more to do with Fords, had a Cortina once - very ordinary.

Ranger

Ranger wrote:

Reply to
Ranger

Couple of points:

The M3 is fantastic! IMHO, it does everything right. But it will be older than your 330 which means more rattles and more maintenance. If you care.

BTW, where will you run the car? (Your posting didn't indicate your shire.) On the Motorway? Country roads? Will you be able to fully exercise the M3 so as to appreciate the difference, such as it is?

As to Fords: your opinion is based on a Cortina? Really? Then you should drive my 2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt. Then we can talk.

Otherwise, I agree. The Cortina is a P.O.S.

Rick Rikoski

2001 330Xi 2001 Bullitt 1992 Miata MX5

Reply to
R. Rikoski

You really need to, because you may find the stock e36 M3 seats suck ass...

Reply to
daytripper

Maybe true of your ass, but mine is happier in my 1995 M3 than my 94 325is or 92

325i. Much better lateral support, and it may have better leather.

I have no idea how the e46 compares.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

The E30 325is has the best seats of them all.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I'm a huge BMW and //M fan, but the E36 M3 isn't all that exciting in my opinion. If you really want the //M3 experience, why not get an E30? Or just stick with what you've got. It's a fantastic car.

Ranger wrote:

Reply to
Alan