Should you let your AC run for at least 10mins a Week!

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
I live in the UK and therefore rarley see the sun, I havent used my AC for at least 6 months now due to the cold, rain, sleet, snow etc.. But
my friend told me you should let the AC run for a little while every week so that it doesnt mess up!
is that true?
Regards

Yes. The seals can dry out when it's not used for long periods and 'pickup' when it finally is causing wear to them.
I have another UK made car with AC which runs the compressor when you select demist - as well as making sure it's used during the winter months the AC helps dry out the air.
--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

London SW

On 14 Feb 2007 02:13:45 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

According to the E36 manual, yes you should.
BTW, aircon is fantastic at clearing misted windows, turn the aircon on and turn the heater up full.
Just don't leave it like that for too long as the air becomes very dry and your eyes will start to water!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

The a/c compressor runs when you set it on defrost, so this means that most a/c compressors run year round. unless it's very cold. If anything you should set your heating system to floor or vent, that way the compressor will shut off and you'll save money on gas.
waffled on about something:

about something:

That would depend on the car. My '94 E36 certainly didn't do that.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

All newer cars are set up that way. Yours should be. It may not be working, but it should be. It takes the humidity out of the car. That's why the windows clear so quickly on defrost.
waffled on

about something:

You need to be careful, the original poster didn't give much in the way of information about his car. We don't know how old it is.
To be honest I've never seen a car do that, but then again I haven't played with any BMW under 10 years old either.
I've always manually done the a/c dehumidify trick.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

waffled on

I certainly don't know about the actions of older BMWs, but all cars designed in the US use the A/C to clear the windshield during cold weather. They have used that technique for well over 30 years now. My first car with a factory equiped A/C was a 1967 Ford, and it definitely used the A/C in that manner.
Jim
waffled on

That is **way** too sweeping of a statement.

My UK E39 with climate control doesn't.
--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

And my US 2001 E46 doesn't do that - you have to either hit the defrost button (which does turn on the a/c), or manually turn on the a/c.
FloydR

The defrost button doesn't turn on the AC on mine - or if it does, the telltale doesn't light. Nor does the idle speed alter.
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

That's right. When you turn on the defrost the compressor kicks in, and no the light won't come on. I think that's the whole point I've try to make.. Don't think I'll try again. But to the guy that asked the original question. Hope that all this answered your question.
London SW

about something:

S, I'm not trying to have an argument here, I'm just saying that what you are saying is a broad generalisation, which several of us here can disprove from out own experiences.
To the original poster, press the button every week or two, a/c will help demist the car, and use of it will keep the seals in good shape. Your car may, or may not do this for you already, without knowing the model/age we can't say for sure, so it's safest for us to say press the button.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Right - I've just done some checks. With a fully warmed up engine, selecting AC on my climate control E39 causes the rev counter to rise before returning to near normal. The engine note also changes slightly as it's now under load. Selecting defrost does no such thing - so on my car at least it's not engaging the compressor.
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That's funny, on mine the air con makes idle speed increase a lot and stay there. I've not had it on for long but it goes from (if the tach is linear at that point) ~250rpm to about 750.
The demist button does not appear to run the air con on mine either. Pity really as it sounds like a good idea, to keep it exercised if nothing else.

Usually 600 and 800 rpm, but will depend on engine.

In E23's AC was automatically selected if you chose defrost.
In E32's the AC switched independently of defrost, but gave far better results if it was on.
E38 is similar to E32 IIRC, but I had got into the habit of switching the AC on at the same time as demist.

Given AC is inhibited from working below a certain temperature it seems like a worthless function?
--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.