Should you let your AC run for at least 10mins a Week!

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:30:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

There is a difference between normal AC and climate control systems. All of the climate control systems in cars I've owned - all the way back to a 1978 Ford - took complete control of all settings, including the AC compressor operation, when set in full auto mode.
As others have said, an often overlooked function of any AC system is a dehumidifier. That function is equally important in house AC systems, as well as cars.
--
Dan.

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:04:46 -0500, Dean Dark

Hmmm, very curious.
Okay, well I think I know why I have never seen it, and "s" has seen it everywhere since the ark. He's in the US, I'm in the UK. Given that American cars tended to have big engines, I guess the manufacturers weren't really bothered about the extra load of the compressor being engaged when you went to demist the car, whereas with a little Euro-box it was deemed the driver should decide if he wants to loose half the engine power!
The '94 E36 I was referring to did have climate control (all be it the early 4 knob flavour, not the digital one that came along later), and the A/C was something extra you decided if you wanted or not, the way it functioned was more of an add-on than an integrated part of the system. I know for sure the A/C didn't come on automatically when I tried to demist the screen because I used to make a point of manually turning it on. If I forgot, it took ages to clear.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

FYI. I spell tyre with a y not an i. So just like you I'm from the UK.