Shuddering when braking from 50mph and above

2002 330xi, ~76,000 miles.
Car and steering wheel shake when braking from above 50 or so --- worse when going downhill.
Assumed warped brake rotors.
Dealer first claimed bent wheel --- tried to straighten, and moved to rear. Small, short lived improvement.
Now dealer claims old tires.
Both sound odd to me, as the car is completely smooth in all non-braking situations, and when braking at lower speeds.
Could there be any truth to their claim(s)?
Anyone know a reliable mechanic for this car in the Boston area?
--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.autos.bmw...)
snipped-for-privacy@no-spam-panix.com wrote:

Often it's worn suspension bushes.
could be worn bushings, 76k... I am not sure... warped rotors would certainlly do it. have them replaced or turned to straight and try again. the bushing job is $$$, start with rotors
I agree with both of you, it _could_ be bushings, but the rotors are cheaper and easier.

> 2002 330xi, ~76,000 miles.
> Car and steering wheel shake when braking > from above 50 or so --- worse when going > downhill.
> Assumed warped brake rotors.
> Dealer first claimed bent wheel --- tried > to straighten, and moved to rear. Small, > short lived improvement.
> Now dealer claims old tires.
> Both sound odd to me, as the car is completely > smooth in all non-braking situations, and > when braking at lower speeds.
> Could there be any truth to their claim(s)?
> Anyone know a reliable mechanic for this car > in the Boston area?
Thanks to all that answered. Reading between the lines, it seems you all thought the wheel/tire diagnosis was not accurate. I will try to find a new mechanic.
ah