Slight Rattle on Passenger Door

Hi all,

I have a E46. When driving a bendy road - I am getting a slight rattle when turning. I have already put vaseline on the door seals so I dont think it is the door seals - any ideas?

Thanks, Keith.

Reply to
keithd

HI Keith, I've been going through the same thing with e39. I found a loose window guide rail on the door and secured it, this helped a bit. I put silicon on the seals and this helped a few days then rattles came back.

It's the door seals! There's no other way to get rid of the rattling except changing door seals. I'm getting them for $75 per seal - each door requires 2 kinds of seals.

Good luck,

Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t

Thanks for the reply Oskar! Somebodty told me that - there can be some loose bolts in the locking mechanism - known issue with the e46 - but it seems a lot of work to strip the door - especially with airbags.

Reply to
keithd

These sort of things can have very mundane explanations. I had a strange tinkling noise in the rear at certain speeds when accelerating in an earlier

735i. This went on for months before I eventually discovered that it was the loose tip cup on an umbrella on the rear parcel shelf! :-}
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

BMW doors are the most over-engineered doors I've ever seen!! To me working on the doors is almost like a bad dream. There was a time I enjoyed working on cars, that all went away with BMW autos! I take car to a good mechanic (independant - I really have hard time trusting dealers).

I hope you find a good independant mechanic near you.

Oskar

Reply to
pheonix1t